Smoking 2 briskets

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

drew0287 USER_AVATAR
drew0287
Pilgrim

Smoking 2 briskets

Postby drew0287 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Hey everyone, long time forum reader, but first time signing up and posting!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience smoking 2 packers on an Old Country Pecos grill, i have this one: http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... gJhDfD_BwE

I've never smoked 2 briskets at once before, not sure what is in store as far as cook time. I know I have to keep at least 2 inches between the meats to help w/ airflow and bark formation... but this is getting me a bit nervous. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

-drew
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Smoking 2 briskets

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 pm

You will have to swap them left to right position wise at least one time during the cook.
I would advise a water pan under the cook grate at the firebox end.
I had the same cooker and it ran way hotter on the right end than the left, which is why you will need to swap postions, also the cook grate temps are higher than the temp at the gauge level so watch the temps.
Lastly I would advise cooking fat side down to help deal with the temps..
Go to utube and watch Franklins videos..he has some decent advice for beginners..
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Chasdev wrote:You will have to swap them left to right position wise at least one time during the cook.
I had the same cooker and it ran way hotter on the right end than the left, which is why you will need to swap postions, also the cook grate temps are higher than the temp at the gauge level so watch the temps.
Go to utube and watch Franklins videos..he has some decent advice for beginners..

Welcome aboard. I had a Pecos and agree with all the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drew0287 USER_AVATAR
drew0287
Pilgrim

Postby drew0287 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 am

Chasdev wrote:You will have to swap them left to right position wise at least one time during the cook.

Thanks Casdev & bsooner, so when you say swap, that means you put them vertically on the grate? was hopin' they would both fit with the points toward the firebox, but may not be able to, haven't measured the grate depth yet. would this smoke take closer to 2 hrs a lb? Last time i did one brisket, it was about a 1lb an hr @ 250. Thanks again guys!
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:47 am

I never got mine down to 250, 275/300 was as low as I could run and still get clean smoke..
My guess is 8 hrs..
swap left to right and right to left, see how they are cooking, you could hand probe each in three spots to see what is getting hot and where and shuffle based on that info.
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 pm

I have this smoker and consistently am smoking at least two briskets. Sometimes I have to rotate in a third.

They won't fit side by side with both points toward the fire box. I usually have to put them at an angle with the flat toward the back of the pit and 45 degrees out the point toward the firebox.

Absolutely put a water pan.

After a few hours move the brisket closest to the exhaust and swap it with the brisket closest to the firebox. After a while they'll be able sit side by side. Perpendicular to the length of the pit. (Does that make sense?)

Cook times extend a little. I can usually get them both done in about 12 hrs.
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:44 am

My smoker is smaller but I rotated maybe every 2 hours? Mostly when I sprayed them down. Once wrapped I just rotated every 10 degree difference. Also The way mine fit was one brisket point towards the firebox and one brisket point facing the smoke stack.
drew0287 USER_AVATAR
drew0287
Pilgrim

Postby drew0287 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 pm

wow, thanks for all the recommendations fellas... i've got the cook comin' up next Friday... time to load up on some post oak and see what comes of it! worst case.... chopped brisket sandwiches w/ gallons of bbq sauce....best cause... no bbq sauce at all :)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”