Baby back reeebs

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Baby back reeebs

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Bbq code posts

We decided to do some baby backs in the Weber. What seems different about this is, at the time of the prep, we could NOT remove the membrane, try as we might, and also as we are just now as I type, laying this down on coal with apple and cherry, we are still undecided whether to put on a glaze or leave them Memphis Dry. Which is how we usually do.

Hoochie Mama for the rub, with a mustard coating.

Last minute, we decided to go with Heinz Kentucky Bourbon sauce because a) it was open, and, b) it came in a pack of four cute mini-bottles and I can not resist cute mini packages of anything.

Sides are nuked tater salad and chard, beans, 'n' peppers.

Cupcakes for dessert. Ugly, but tasty with strawberry cream cheese icing.

Also, I'm trying to figure out Flavor Combos that won't fight with each other. Like wood to rub to sauce. We like apple, cherry, oak and sometimes feel hickory's a bit overwhelming. ..annnddd... (Cover your eyes OUP)...we don't care for mesquite. Sauces are prosaic Heinz, Jack Daniel's and Stubbs. Any ideas?
Moink!
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Re: Baby back reeebs

Postby rickhdz36 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

looks good! i would love one of those cupcakes lol my weakness because they are so easy to eat!

I really wanna try baby back ribs. How do they differ from spare ribs?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:42 pm

?What? have I been put in the Corner with a pointed cap :?: Pyysaw - - - - FWIW I use Apple on my Bonz along with either Hootchie Mama or Rib Tickler and as far as Sauces go just Plllleeeezzzzz dump the 57 variety jar (puke) nuttin wrong with Stubbs or J.D. even tho I us SB Chipotle Sauce - - - Y'all are getting some mileage outa dem Okries huh ? Plate looks good and cupcake would comatose me fo sho. :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:59 pm

rickhdz36 wrote:looks good! i would love one of those cupcakes lol my weakness because they are so easy to eat!

I really wanna try baby back ribs. How do they differ from spare ribs?

Baby backs are smaller and cook faster than spare ribs (like St. Louis cuts) and I find that baby backs can tolerate slightly higher cooking temps than spares. For example, these baby backs were cooked between 250-300 deg (~275 avg) for about 3 hours (sometimes they only take 2 hours). Spares usually take me 4-6 hours and I try keeping the temp in the range of 225-250 deg.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks, everyone. PB really hit them bonz jusst right. I had to force myself to stop.

We learned a thing or two with this cook. All to the good.

Heinz 57... :laughing7:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Heinz 57... :laughing7:

reminds me of that stray puppy I had as a kid :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”