Future Funeral Fixins

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Future Funeral Fixins

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:29 pm

OK Y'all, I"ve been asked to fix some Reebs to take to Kellye's Mom's Home after the Funeral on Wednesday SOOOOOOOOOOOOO my question is this :?: would baby backs be better for a function like that or should I do St. Louis Cut :?: There will be a lot of "fanger food" there so I was leaning toward BB's - - - - It don't matter to me but I would like Y'alls opinion PLEASE :dont: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Future Funeral Fixins

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Baby backs would cook quicker and you'd be able to fit more on the pit.

Do you feel more comfortable cooking on over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Not at all, Soon, as a matter of fact I'm thinking about using my Pellet Pooper with two on the bottom and then one on top about 9" above the others and in between them kinda . That's one of the reasons I built that extra rack. I could possibly get 3 bb's across the bottom alone but I'm not one for jamming Q together. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:17 pm

How bout 50/50
Truth is , u could cook a tree limb and make it tasty buddy :)
If you do it that way, ur giving family and friends another option.
It sounds weird but I know quite a few that won't eat one , but love the other.

Just a thought my friend.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:25 pm

baby backs, smaller, finger food, and you can boil them first :roll:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 pm

so far Sooner and ST are just confirming my thoughts on this - - - ain't no way I can make them taste like they've just come off the Pit and rested a bit so I think I'll do BBs.

ATTENTION: I'll probably cook them Monday or Tuesday but won't need them until late afternoon Wednesday. Do I wrap the whole rack and cut them when I'm ready to serve ?OR? do I cut them into riblets, put all in a foil covered aluminum pan and then frig ???? ?ALSO? when do I put the sauce on them :?: I really don't want to have to bother with having the Sauce there for dipping or whatever. Fanger Food is my Goal :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 pm

My thoughts on that above ^^^^

I've cooked ribs before and served the next day, or two days later.
If I were you, I'd cook them, then get them in the fridge ASAP wrapped ( unsauced )
A few hours before you plan on serving them, cut them into single pieces and put them in ur crock pot/slow cooker on LOW.
Cover them with your sauce and put the lid on.
I promise you they will be excellent and moist as can be. Family and friends will be able to take them out as needed with tongs and the ribs will Always be hot.

Nothing worse than cold ribs/sauce in a tray that can't keep the food warm.

Just wanted to throw out my 2 ¢
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:00 pm

Great suggestion, W.V. but I don't think I can put it together that way with my duties that day - - ?however? let me toss it around and see if I can "git'er done" :salut:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 pm

the BB's we cook and don't eat, are frozen in one piece then thawed and cut and nuked in a little moistening sauce, then served.
depending on you duties, an oven or a slow cooker or roaster if you have one could be employed for the final warm up. Given your situation you could leave them on the rare side then into the fridge in foil for holding then some sauce into the foil and finish in the oven in the foil and sauce if that makes sense... :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:46 am

the more I think about this the more I think that Reebs might not be a good choice, considering my limited time and facilities to warm these properly when it comes time to enjoy - - - :dont:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:54 am

Under these circumstances I would definately do BB's. More finger food friendly, nothing except the bone to deal with. I have cooked many and vac packed right out of the cooler (you still need them to rest) but I am a last minute sauce guy. You can snip the end of the bag, pour your sauce in and nuke them. "We" could tell the difference but probably not the casual diner. Another option when I serve that many is at your local restaurant suppliers and even party city have these type of chafing dishes that are cheap, you dont have to clean up after, and really do a great job for just a few bucks. You even have time to order from amazon before Wed. That is what I would lean towards.

http://www.partycity.com/product/chafin ... um+pans.do
Last edited by outlaw on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 am

How many racks do you need? I can do 10-12 at a time on the stick burner. I would do them for you, we could meet half way the day of, and they would be fresh off the pit and resting unless they just want OUP's ribs. That would free you up to do other things.

Another option would be to just do something simple like a few coils of sausage. Under the circumstances I'm sure everyone would understand.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:57 am

I would lean toward st louis spares myself. It was mentioned earlier though that there are folks who would eat one over the other. That confounds me :scratch: yet is spoken true.
Give em 50/50!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:38 am

thanks, Gents, an Outlaw I appreciate the offer more than you know :bow: :salut:

I am leaning towards simplicity more and more and if my Son just has to have Reebs then I'll swing by McKenzies on the way to Kellye's Mom's house :dont:

I am also a pall bearer so my duties last the entire time and with it happening late that afternoon there's just not enuff of me (figuratively speaking) - - - besides that, my Wiffy is gonna need help just enduring the day :whiteflag:

have a great weekend, Y'all :tup:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 am

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks, Gents, an Outlaw I appreciate the offer more than you know :bow: :salut:

I am leaning towards simplicity more and more and if my Son just has to have Reebs then I'll swing by McKenzies on the way to Kellye's Mom's house :dont:

I am also a pall bearer so my duties last the entire time and with it happening late that afternoon there's just not enuff of me (figuratively speaking) - - - besides that, my Wiffy is gonna need help just enduring the day :whiteflag:

have a great weekend, Y'all :tup:

The offer stands. I really question the wisdom of BBQ at all for this occasion. Dress clothes and Q are rarely a good combination. Hopefully saner minds will prevail.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”