What to do, what to do????

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

What to do, what to do????

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 am

This is kind of a follow up on my pool thread. You wouldn't believe how much rain we got yesterday. We spent the first 4 hrs after daylight cleaning and drying the pool bottom from the previous nights rain, then just as we were beginning the liner install the sky opened again. We did manage to get the liner installed during the rain and the pool is filling now, but having said all that we come to the reason for this post:
I thawed a brisket for smoking on Thursday and here it is Sun and not on the pit yet. All my wood is soaked so what do I do? Has anyone used just charcoal, or lump in a stick burner. How much will I need, or should I just throw it in the oven (yuck)?? Anyone have any suggestions?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: What to do, what to do????

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:50 am

Out of my knowledge, Pal, all I can do is offer up some good positive Vibes and wish you Good Luck. :?: :dont: :?: wondering if you could start everything with charcoal and then add the wet wood :?: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:57 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Out of my knowledge, Pal, all I can do is offer up some good positive Vibes and wish you Good Luck. :?: :dont: :?: wondering if you could start everything with charcoal and then add the wet wood :?: :dont:

I'm going to put some wood in the vertical side box and hopefully it will dry out enough to keep the lump usage down. See how that goes.
What if I was to throw it in a pickling solution for a few days till the weather is more conducive to smoking? Be kind of a pickled-smoked-corned beef-pastrami?? That pickling would keep me from having to cook right away wouldn't it?
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:54 am

YUCK - - not a fan of pickled meat HOWEVER that reminds me of some people we knew in the Panhandle back when I was a youngin - - - they were poor and struggling country folks and one day their Milk Cow got run over - - - the owner of the cow decided to not let the meat go to waste so he cut her into pieces, pickled her and put her in a huge (did I say huge?) crock and then down in the cellar - - - - I can remember my Dad asking him how it tasted and he said "it's wasn't too bad for the first couple of weeks but after that, the more you chewed the bigger it got" :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:04 am

I'm not a fan either, but I'm even less a fan of wasting meat. I'm just going to fill the box with lump, get some smoke on her, and then finish in the oven if the side box wood deal doesnt work out. All trimmed and rubbed and waiting for the wife to get back with some lump.
Attachments
20729620_1568735796480574_285315304784896671_n.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:14 am

Pssst: "don't tell any of the other members BUT I've started them in a Reynolds Oven Bag in the Kitchen Oven and then finished on the Pit and my Family loved it" - - - - just between me and you OK :?:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:18 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Pssst: "don't tell any of the other members BUT I've started them in a Reynolds Oven Bag in the Kitchen Oven and then finished on the Pit and my Family loved it" - - - - just between me and you OK :?:

I wounder if I'm doing it backwards then? :dont: :dont: Seems like smoke and then heat, but I don't know. That lump puts out alot of smoke so I guess I'm going to smoke first. :scratch: :scratch:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Pssst: "don't tell any of the other members BUT I've started them in a Reynolds Oven Bag in the Kitchen Oven and then finished on the Pit and my Family loved it" - - - - just between me and you OK :?:

You secret is safe with me. (As I furiously quote and repost EVERYWHERE) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:05 am

outlaw wrote:I wounder if I'm doing it backwards then? :dont: :dont: Seems like smoke and then heat, but I don't know. That lump puts out alot of smoke so I guess I'm going to smoke first. :scratch: :scratch:

Good Point - - - - just another example of what happens when you put 1 and a half brains together

Now, "git'er done" while I finish mowing what the riding lawn mower could get to :whiteflag: :banghead:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Well the weather was , and continues to be a dog here in DFW for the last few days. I did manage to smoke the brisket through the stall, wrapped it and finished it in the oven at 250 degrees till it probed well and temped at 215. I threw it in the Yeti double wrapped in towels till about an hr ago. We are talking about a 10 hr rest here and the Yeti kept it to 125 till I just unwrapped and sliced some for today and tomorrow for a few people. A good cooler is worth the investment. Pretty juicy as the pics will show, the smoke ring not that pronounced on this part but the flat really did.
Attachments
20841104_1570092149678272_2544782536144601621_n.jpg
20840919_1570092359678251_3778766443502519046_n.jpg
20800296_1570092246344929_1380404960291092286_n.jpg
20798996_1570092096344944_3366246007760480275_n.jpg
20770038_1570092286344925_562922691601086902_n.jpg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:11 pm

That is horrible looking, Pal, do you want me to bring Y'all a Bucket of KFC and take that off of your hands :?: :dont: after all, what a friends for :laughing7: :D :lol:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:01 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:That is horrible looking, Pal, do you want me to bring Y'all a Bucket of KFC and take that off of your hands :?: :dont: after all, what a friends for :laughing7: :D :lol:

A fair trade. :D :D
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 pm

White or Dark :?:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 am

Another thing I discovered in doing this method was the flavor of the rub (just S&P) did not permeate the meat at all. Does it take the smoke to convert into nitrates properly, hence the lack of smoke ring and taste? Maybe you just have to hit it with a thicker rub or one with other ingredients? Without somewhere for the fat to render out it was a little greasy too. I think the remainder will be chopped for sandwiches today.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”