Bad St Louis ribs

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Bad St Louis ribs

Postby bogiedr » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi all!
Have been away for a while, had bath remodeling going on so no grilling / smoking, just heavy drinking in order to deal with contractors! :x
I have an issue I wonder if anyone else has experienced here. About three weeks ago I got some ribs at BJ's, cryovac packed as usual. It had a sell by date 5 days from the day I bought them. I put them in the fridge, original package unopened, and they sat for 7 days, or two days after the sell by date. When I opened them to rinse and season overnight ... OUCH!!!! I thought I was going to faint from the ugly foul smell emanating from the ribs. These things smelled more rotten than the whole state of Denmark in Hamlet!!!! Anyone else had that experience?
Now I am skeptical of ribs at BJ's. Costco's fresh seasoned ribs are awesome, but I like experimenting with my own seasonings. That leaves me going to my local meat market, which defeats the purpose of having BJ's and Costco memberships. Was it bad luck? If you can share your experiences I will appreciate it.

PS Just smoked a fresh 7lb Boston Butt from BJ's brined in heavy Adobo, sugar, sazon and black pepper .... awesome!!!!!!!!!!
:cheers:
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Bad St Louis ribs

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 am

It's likely that somewhere in the supply chain they got hot - it happens on occasion and definitely leaves a bad impression. I've experienced that with some Tyson ribs from Walmart. They stunk so bad I couldn't bear the thought to returning them to the store for a refund.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Re: Bad St Louis ribs

Postby bogiedr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm

txsmkmstr thanks for the response! I forgot about somewhere in the supply chain someone simply not paying attention and meats getting hot! I will give BJ's another try for ribs. I really like our store here, employees are all very friendly, attentive and very helpful. Like you, I did not even attempt to call the store, just used the vacuum food sealer and in the garbage. At least they were inexpensive! :tup:
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”