Labors of labor day

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Labors of labor day

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:51 pm

I have a rack of baby back ribs, one whole chicken and a mess of wings set up for Monday. I plan on bringing the whole bird. What do y'all think about bringing the wings? Also can I cook all 3 at the same temp? I hope third time is the charm on the new smoker, I have been studying up real hard for this. The only thing that worries me is if my wood is dry enough.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Labors of labor day

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:04 pm

No issue brining wings, just not as long. Maybe half?

As far as cooking together it just depends on what you want from the chicken? Today I smoked my chicken along with the rest of the meats but new I was going to pull it for sandwiches so it was fine. However, of you want crispy chicken skin you have to go at a higher temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Hard to beat oups beer butt chook. I've never had a moister chook than that.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:14 am

I think if you monitor "ALL OF IT" pretty good then you should be OK - - - - however, I don't know why you would even want to brine the Bonz :dont: Good Luck and let us know, OK? :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:28 am

No brine on the ribs, just the bird. How can you tell if your wood is dry enough for smoking? So if I cook the chicken at a lower temp then it will be more for shredding texture. What temp do yall do beer butt?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 am

Are you worried about the wood due to rain? If so (if you use an offset) you can set a log on top of the firebox to dry). Just watch out for smoke :)

If you are wondering if is aged enough just knock a couple sticks together and listen for a fairly hollow clunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks guys. I hope with what I have learned over the last few weeks really pay off tomorrow. I look forward to seeing what you have going on tomorrow. Alright, off to church now.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:03 am

JustinCouch wrote: What temp do yall do beer butt?

The instructions say to cook it at 350 but I prefer between 250 and 300 - - however, I use my ECB with the charcoal pan at the very bottom and the bird on the top grill rack. The bird is actually sitting in the dome of the lid so to speak. I also throw in some presoaked Mesquite on the hot coals at the same time I sit the bird on his throne. My birds usually take a little over an hour to cook and "always" comes out moist - - - - that constant basting from inside with the can of liquid is the "cluckers meow" :D Remember to put sumptin in the hole at the neck and be sure to sit his highness in a pan of some kind - - aluminum pie pan works great. I have an old lid/skillet from a very old Boy Scout cook kit that I have used from the start. It has a teflon coating and is the "boss". good luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:04 pm

We had our Labor Day party early this year, with Baby Back & St Louis Cut Ribs (previously smoked on the ECB and just reheated on the gas grill). We also cooked some bone-in Chicken Breasts on the gas grill, which took longer than expected (because we had very cool weather for this time of year - in the 60's).

We also had previously cooked Moink and various salads (including SK's famous potato salad) ... sorry, no pix of those.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:15 pm

That Chicken Goo you see in the bottom of the pan was AWESOME. All we added was a little apple juice.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Good looking Grub - - - do Y'all drink that Chicken Apple Juice Goo over Ice or Straight Up :?: :laughing7: :D :lol:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Straight up, always. ;)
Moink!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”