First brisket smoke in progress, could use some help controlling heat

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wssrstrm
Pilgrim

First brisket smoke in progress, could use some help controlling heat

Postby wssrstrm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm 7 hours into my first brisket, a 10 LBer, and I've really been struggling to control the heat. I'm using a 22" kettle grill with a two zone setup and a water pan. It's seem to either be at 160 or 300. Trying hard to hit 225 but it keeps escaping me. How worried should I be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: First brisket smoke in progress, could use some help controlling heat

Postby Chasdev » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:24 pm

I also struggle to get down to 225, I advise aiming for 250/275, your brisket will come out fine at those temps..
wssrstrm
Pilgrim

Postby wssrstrm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Chasdev wrote:I also struggle to get down to 225, I advise aiming for 250/275, your brisket will come out fine at those temps..

Thanks! In the end, I'd grade it about a 75. Decent first try, the flavor was spot on exactly right. But if I ordered it at a restaurant I'd be disappointed because it was a bit dry and even a little tough in some places.

What does that mean when it comes out dry but also a little tough? What should I do differently?

wssrstrm
Pilgrim

Postby wssrstrm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Turned out pretty ok. I wouldnt say it was perfect tho. Great flavor but a little dry and even tough in some paces.

What should I do differently? Not sure what to make it the fact that it was both a little dry and a little tough.

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:06 am

Tough is commonly undercooked, unless it's way overcooked which should also have dark crispy exterior.
Cooked brisket needs to rest after pulling and sometimes holding at 160 for hours and hours after pulling allows a tough cut of meat to become tender..
As the man said (sort of) "on to the next one"..
Don't forget, the worst brisket makes the best chili.
wssrstrm
Pilgrim

Postby wssrstrm » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:46 am

I actually think chewy is a better description that tough. IT was only chewy in some places. And a little dry, particularly toward the thinner end of the brisket. I think it's possible the heat got too high and dried it out? And at the same time I didn't have it on the low heat for long enough? What do you think about that hypothesis?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:18 am

wssrstrm wrote:I actually think chewy is a better description that tough. IT was only chewy in some places. And a little dry, particularly toward the thinner end of the brisket. I think it's possible the heat got too high and dried it out? And at the same time I didn't have it on the low heat for long enough? What do you think about that hypothesis?

The end result stems from chasing your temps. Temps all over the board like that will result in a finished product the same way, all over the board; thinner places overdone, thicker pieces under done, some parts alright..
(Insert witty signature here)
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

I run my kettle 250-300 and it just take some adjustments to make it all work out fine, I do pork butts all the time - and remember they are very forgiving. I never have
cooked a brisket on the kettle. I got some time off soon and I think I will do that just to see how it goes, if any thing I know for a fact I will get awesome burnt ends :)
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:01 pm

dry in the flat could also be the meat quality. was it a select, choice, or prime?
dandoyle
Pilgrim

Postby dandoyle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:43 pm

What technique do you use to control temp on your Weber?

I use a slow and sear and it has been the easiest for me to control temp. However, controlling ventilation was the trick to controlling temp. A leaky grill is hard to control the burn. I use 1" binder clips to clip my lid down and remove most of the air leaks. I used a video of the slow and sear for setting my vents. I monitor my temp like every 15 minutes with an iGrill probe on the surface of the grill. Generally, I make small adjustments and wait 10 minutes or so to see the effect.

Dan
wssrstrm
Pilgrim

Postby wssrstrm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

sinfony78 wrote:dry in the flat could also be the meat quality. was it a select, choice, or prime?

I didn't know to ask! Next time I will. What should I try to get?

wssrstrm
Pilgrim

Postby wssrstrm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:30 pm

dandoyle wrote:What technique do you use to control temp on your Weber?

I use a slow and sear and it has been the easiest for me to control temp. However, controlling ventilation was the trick to controlling temp. A leaky grill is hard to control the burn. I use 1" binder clips to clip my lid down and remove most of the air leaks. I used a video of the slow and sear for setting my vents. I monitor my temp like every 15 minutes with an iGrill probe on the surface of the grill. Generally, I make small adjustments and wait 10 minutes or so to see the effect.

Dan

I was using no technique at all! The only thing I was doing I was waiting 10 mins or so to see if my adjustments made any difference. These are really good tips. I think I might pick up an igrill.

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 am

Don't overlook the "TipTopTemp" controller, it's analog and works great!
rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 am

Get a G'rilla Q or Slow and Sear with an iGrill. Brisket is difficult on a Kettle but can be done. You will have to babysit it big time. You will have to monitor it and probably have to make small adjustments ever 10 minutes, and don't open the lid unless you have to cause your smoldering charcoal will quickly ignite.

I'd wrap it at 160 too.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”