Your opinion on Offset vs Pellet smokers

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Re: Your opinion on Offset vs Pellet smokers

Postby tri3forme » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 pm

02ebz06 wrote:[quote="tri3forme"] I think that theory only works temporarily. If the food isn't great, after 6 months (and I'm being generous) there would be no line and they'd be out of biz in a year. If you're referring to Franklin's, there's a reason he has a line, and it ain't just because there's a line. I speak from personal experience.

My personal opinion, and if anyone would ask me what I would recommend, is that it all depends on how much labor one wants to invest in their bbq'ing. Me: I love the process of offsets and prefer the endproduct over pellet smokers. Although, I did look up the pellet smoker you have in your sig line......that thing is $4k! No offense, but I hope it puts out a great product. My 2 buddies that each have pellet smokers don't cost $1000 combined. So far, I've been less than impressed (although still good) with what they've been able to produce. But, they both don't want to invest the time into smoking so pellet works great for them

I didn't intend to imply that the food would be bad at places where you wait hours to get you food.
However I think expectations are high.
And I would guess the majority of patrons don't BBQ themselves so have nothing to compare too.

Yes, my grill was over $4k.
If cost is a concern for BBQing, then why spend $1000 on a grill, or $500, or even $100? Elton Brown made one out of a cardboard box.
To each his own.

I buy American Made whenever I can.
I have owned two of the Memphis grills. Have had zero problems in the 7 years I've had them.[/quote]

I hope you don't think I am knocking your pellet smoker. If I could spend that kind of cash on a smoker, I most definitely would. Since, pellet smokers are mostly a 'set-up and forget about it' smoker, I'm probably not far off if I suspect the quality of food is far better off your pellet than my friends'. With that being said, a $100 UDS can likely put out the same quality food than my $400 offset or even a $4k offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by tri3forme on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:29 pm

tri3forme wrote: a $100 UDS can likely put out the same quality food than my $400 offset or even a $4k offset.

I agree 100%
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
Swamptrout
Pilgrim

Postby Swamptrout » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Great discussion from both sides. I will leave my opinion out as every point has already been addressed.
My obsessions - cooking, grilling, burning, smoking.
My possessions - GMG DB, Akorn, Hark Roti, Ziggy Triple, Viva Multi Cooker.
Ghaliath
Pilgrim

Postby Ghaliath » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:06 am

First off, sorry for reviving an old thread.

I am looking at buying my first smoker, and are going back and forth between the Traeger Pro22 and an offset smoker. (I'd rather have the Camp Chef Woodwind, but no go where I live)

I get that the offset will produce deeper flavors, but that it can be more finicky, and needs some babysitting. With four kids, a dog and a full time job, I can't babysit the smoker for 7-16 hours to get a brisket with a good bark on it.

But then again, I don't want to invest $700 in a Traeger and produce foods without a good crust and deep flavors.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 am

As far as the Smoke Flavor produced between Pellets and Sticks, IMHO there's no comparison, HOWEVER, I have found with my Pit Boss Pellet Grill that leaving it on Smoke for a couple of hours gives me all the flavor that I need. On my Pellet Grill the Smoke Setting will average between 140 and 190 depending on my "P" setting which is just the auger speed. Good Luck with your Choice and Future Cooks. :tup: :salut:

As far as price goes, there are decent Pellet Grills out there for less than $500 if you watch for them.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Ghaliath
Pilgrim

Postby Ghaliath » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 am

I'm in Sweden, the Traeger Pro 22 is the cheapest I've found so far, and it's around $850.

The broil king offset smoker is about $750-755.

Which to choose, which to choose... :dont:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:23 am

I have owned and used a lot of smokers from the ECB to a $22,000 Old Hickory and I have gotten good reviews on food cooked on all of them BUT not on initial cooks.
You have to learn how to use the cooker.
Currently I have 3 pellet pits and a Weber kettle.
What I normally use is the least expensive Pellet cooker because it works and it's easy. (Weber is for grilling it reigns supreme for direct grilling).

Bottom line for me is stick burner operated by a seasoned pit master probably does the best but for a backyard cook the pellet pits are darn good. BTW the Old Hickory beats them all......
tarde venientibus ossa....
Ghaliath
Pilgrim

Postby Ghaliath » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 am

Papa Tom wrote:I have owned and used a lot of smokers from the ECB to a $22,000 Old Hickory and I have gotten good reviews on food cooked on all of them BUT not on initial cooks.
You have to learn how to use the cooker.
Currently I have 3 pellet pits and a Weber kettle.
What I normally use is the least expensive Pellet cooker because it works and it's easy. (Weber is for grilling it reigns supreme for direct grilling).

Bottom line for me is stick burner operated by a seasoned pit master probably does the best but for a backyard cook the pellet pits are darn good. BTW the Old Hickory beats them all......

I have a Weber currently, for direct grilling I agree, it is hard to beat.

I smoked a pork belly on it a couple of weeks ago, but that had been in a sous vide bath for 35 hours and then smoked on high with hickory for 45min, turned out awesome. Now I'm looking for a solution to take my bbq to the next level, which in your opinion would be to buy the Traeger Pro 22?
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:09 am

Yes, I've had both and for my taste desire for more smoke/bark on the food, my Smith and Wesson 38special - Traeger line back in the day just didn't cut it for me. It made tender ribs, london broil and brisket very well, but I had to smoke it for a long time to get a smoke ring. I remember having to smoke mine for over 12 hours to get it now the offset only takes me 1 hour to get it in comparison. It was efficient with the pellets and when I bought their cold smoke attachment, it opened up a world of cold smoke that I didn't know about - bacon, cheeses, and fish. I still can't even come close with those on my offset but the overall taste of my stick burner is better.

To me, its based on your time more than anything. If you have the time and want to make great BBQ, tending to the fire of the stick burner is better IMHO. If you don't have the time to sit and watch/tend to the fire for hours than you go with the pellet. It like those Ronco ads on tv...set it and forget it. However, it is not perfect, I have lost time and money on both. The pellet's burner and computer control had gone out on me a number of times and when I came back, my meat was ruined. With the stick burner, I ruined many a meal until I learned to how to cook with it.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”