Saturday brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Saturday brisket

Postby castironchris » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:12 am

Threw a brisket on for the Longhorn game Saturday night. First one I had done on the Pit Barrel and one of the best I have ever done for sure!!!
[
20170916_201930.jpg

20170916_202251.jpg
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Re: Saturday brisket

Postby outlaw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 am

Looks really nice Chris. Proper bark, nice smoke ring, plenty moist and the fat rendered out. What more could you ask for. :happ: :happ: :happ:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Looks good to me!

How did the knife work out?
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Looks great. :salut:

Was it a flat or packer?
Just wondering as burnt ends from the point always are a big hit.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Very nice brisket, sir!
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Looks good Chris :salut: :cheers: - - - - much better than the final score of that outa towner "OUCH"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Wow man, that looks delicious ! Can I asked what type of wood you smoked with ?
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 pm

He probably used Kingsford charcoal. That is what I use on my pit barrel. Makes a dang nice brisket in about 7 hours. Way faster than the Pellet Cooker. Looks dang good!
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:45 am

outlaw wrote:Looks really nice Chris. Proper bark, nice smoke ring, plenty moist and the fat rendered out. What more could you ask for. :happ: :happ: :happ:

Thanks Outlaw! I haven't always had success with brisket but this was exactly as I wanted!!

TX1911 wrote:Looks good to me!

How did the knife work out?

That knife is a wonderful thang! Also a great conversation piece because a lot of my crowd haven't seen a knife design like that. Slices beautifully!!

02ebz06 wrote:Looks great. :salut:

Was it a flat or packer?
Just wondering as burnt ends from the point always are a big hit.

It wasn't labeled as either but I think it was a packer but I buy them from a meat market called Granzin's in New Braunfels. They are trimmed and vaccum sealed with marinade already. Hard to screw them up but I have before. They always seem to run about 8-10 lbs. There was a point on there but not a lot so does that make it a packer??? I did separate it and make a few burnt ends the next day that were delicious!!

Txdragon wrote:Very nice brisket, sir!

Thanks Dragon!

OldUsedParts wrote:Looks good Chris :salut: :cheers: - - - - much better than the final score of that outa towner "OUCH"

Thanks and I agree about the score but the Horns played a whole lot better than I was expecting and it was a great game!

woodenvisions wrote:Wow man, that looks delicious ! Can I asked what type of wood you smoked with ?

Thanks WV and just like bobcat said I did use Kingsford Mesquite charcoal. It ain't no joke that this cooker is a whole lot quicker about getting things done!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 am

castironchris wrote:It wasn't labeled as either but I think it was a packer but I buy them from a meat market called Granzin's in New Braunfels. They are trimmed and vacuum sealed with marinade already. Hard to screw them up but I have before. They always seem to run about 8-10 lbs. There was a point on there but not a lot so does that make it a packer??? I did separate it and make a few burnt ends the next day that were delicious!!

If only 8-10 lbs, probably just the flat. Full packers are usually 12-14, sometimes larger.
The point is a large piece of meat with grain running in a different direction than the flat.

I get cryovac "Prime" packers from Costco. Good cuts of meat.
They don't come marinaded though.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 am

Hey castironchris, try the pit barrel recipe on chicken. You'll love it. Makes me want to break it out this weekend and cook some yard bird. :texas:
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:41 pm

02ebz06 wrote:
castironchris wrote:It wasn't labeled as either but I think it was a packer but I buy them from a meat market called Granzin's in New Braunfels. They are trimmed and vacuum sealed with marinade already. Hard to screw them up but I have before. They always seem to run about 8-10 lbs. There was a point on there but not a lot so does that make it a packer??? I did separate it and make a few burnt ends the next day that were delicious!!

If only 8-10 lbs, probably just the flat. Full packers are usually 12-14, sometimes larger.
The point is a large piece of meat with grain running in a different direction than the flat.

I get cryovac "Prime" packers from Costco. Good cuts of meat.
They don't come marinaded though.

I guess what I was trying to say is the fat layer that runs between the two muscles was there and there was point muscle above the fat layer but it was pretty small. Maybe no bigger than my fist. Not sure if that one was just trimmed weird or not. I know very little about brisket but will ask next time I go in there and see what they tell me.

bobcat1 wrote:Hey castironchris, try the pit barrel recipe on chicken. You'll love it. Makes me want to break it out this weekend and cook some yard bird. :texas:

The chicken is the whole reason I bought the PBC!!! :salut: :salut:
Weber 22" with SlownSear
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:07 pm

castironchris wrote:I guess what I was trying to say is the fat layer that runs between the two muscles was there and there was point muscle above the fat layer but it was pretty small. Maybe no bigger than my fist. Not sure if that one was just trimmed weird or not. I know very little about brisket but will ask next time I go in there and see what they tell me.

Misunderstood... After a few times of :banghead:, I'll get it. :D

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”