Ribbin' In The Rain

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Ribbin' In The Rain

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Gene Kelly, here we go...

Could this be Nate ahead of schedule? First, we can't get the ECB up to temp for like, an hour, what with the slanting rain that's getting inside the Q-Tent.

(We did get lucky with the membrane...came right off in one piece. Then, mustarded and Hoochie Mama'd and ready to go.)

Apple and cherry for the wood. Had to keep fiddling with the temp, which ranged from 200°-250°...and then the remote temp probe stopped working. We got it going again. Then I'm getting all these alarming reports that the meat's not pulling back, the rack's not bending...six-point-two-five hours later, the rain lets up and the ribs come in.

At last! Glazed apple side, plus broccoli, onyawn, mushroom with lemon pepper, and 'magic grits' the right way ... with butter and hot sauce.

And whadaya know, they came out great. Adequate smoke, tender but not fall-apart, really delicious from the SB rub. Whew.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Ribbin' In The Rain

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Maybe Y'all should start Ribbin when it's raining or a Storm Warning is out - - - very nice Bonz, Mam :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Pics won't show, nuts, sounds good.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Ok, now they do, great pics on a miserable day by the sounds of it. Great result though.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Looks like you battled the elements and won!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Love seeing Improvision !

Ribs look spot on:):)
Rain is one thing....but.... sideways rain and/or wind is a completely different story.

Mother Nature -0
SK - 1

:):)
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:43 pm

The real problem was the latest mods I did to the ECB a little while ago: Sealing around the top cover real well with a gasket and adding a top vent. It turns out that I sealed it TOO WELL and the holes in the new top vent aren't big enough. To get the ECB up to a usable temp (like above 200 degrees) I had to leave the top cover on loosely for the bulk of this BBQ. By the time the ribs were nearly done it finally settled into a reasonably constant temperature.

So back to the drawing board (either I rip out some of the new gasket or drill more holes in the cover). :oops:
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Ribbin' In The Rain

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:The real problem was the latest mods I did to the ECB a little while ago: Sealing around the top cover real well with a gasket and adding a top vent. It turns out that I sealed it TOO WELL and the holes in the new top vent aren't big enough. To get the ECB up to a usable temp (like above 200 degrees) I had to leave the top cover on loosely for the bulk of this BBQ. By the time the ribs were nearly done it finally settled into a reasonably constant temperature.

So back to the drawing board (either I rip out some of the new gasket or drill more holes in the cover). :oops:
Ahh, I see !
I'm thinking drilling a few more holes ?
I'm not familiar with an ECB, so I'm betting that you have the right idea of how to get more ( draft ) ??

I remember chasing temps like a kitten with a laser pointer the first few months after I bought the Akorn. Air leaks, wind, rain...it drove me nuts !
Do you and SK grill/smoke in the winter ? I find it to be the absolute easiest time of year :):)
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Re: RE: Re: Ribbin' In The Rain

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 am

woodenvisions wrote:Do you and SK grill/smoke in the winter ? I find it to be the absolute easiest time of year :):)

We used to do some griling and smoking in the winter, but it was too difficult to get the smoker temp high enough. I even resorted to covering the ECB with old towels for insulation. And even to use the gas grill I'd have to shovel a path to it. So we decided it wasn't worth the trouble. :banghead:
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am

Maybe the Mini-Q...
Moink!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ribbin' In The Rain

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"]
Do you and SK grill/smoke in the winter ? I find it to be the absolute easiest time of year :):)

We used to do some griling and smoking in the winter, but it was too difficult to get the smoker temp high enough. I even resorted to covering the ECB with old towels for insulation. And even to use the gas grill I'd have to shovel a path to it. So we decided it wasn't worth the trouble. :banghead:[/quote]Yeah, I totally get that.
Are ECB' known to only heat up to only those temps ? Or can they get up to blazing hot temps ?
Forgive me please, I'm clueless when it comes to those or stick burners.
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm

The ECB (El Cheapo Brinmann) is just a dirt-cheap version of a Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker, without all the "frills" (like adjustable vents, a rack for coals and legs taller than 1 inch). Once I got mine, like many other people, I did a bunch of basic mods to make it usable. For normal use, there's a water pan between the hot coals on the bottom and the food rack on top. This helps keep the meat moist during smoking and also helps keep temps somewhat constant (due to the thermal mass of the water). It typically gives you around 225-250 degrees at the top grill, when using a Minion arranagement for coals. To get higher temps, you have to remove the water pan and move the meat rack down. I think Emm has done some things along those lines with his ECB (he gave me the idea of just lowering the meat rack in order to get more headroom to cook a beercan chicken).

Alas, Brinkmann has gone belly up in recent years and the only ECBs around are in the used market.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 am

The challenges of the elements makes for good 'que in the end.. If not, then there's usually a REALLY good story! Y'all provided both!
(Insert witty signature here)
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:00 pm

As men, sometimes we have to show mother nature who the boss is. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Txdragon wrote:The challenges of the elements makes for good 'que in the end.. If not, then there's usually a REALLY good story! Y'all provided both!

Thanks!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”