Firepit grills

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Firepit grills

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Does anyone have any of those Firepit grills. All the ones I have seen are elcheepo or very expensive. I'm not interested in the ones that have the hand crank rotisseries. I would like one that has the Dutch oven hanger. If any of Yall have something like that I would love to see a pic. Also I invite all opinions in buying/using them.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Firepit grills

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:53 pm

I don’t have any pics but I used to work for a guy that had a huge one he bought while deer hunting in Mexico. Had a big bowl with the huge swing out grate. We cooked a mess of fajitas on that thing. It was a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 pm

I hear tell of what's called Texas style open pit cooking. I would like to look in too that. I have been trying so hard to learn how to smoke meat lately that I have been neglecting my grilling studies. Back before I started fooling around wit BBQ and smoking I open top grilled everything. The only time I closed the lid was for chicken.. Anyway, hopefully some one on the forum will either talk me into or out of buying one of these. Goodnight all.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Firepit grills

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:46 pm

The Salt Lick in Driftwood cooks open pit style. Although I’ve heard rumor of other cook methods being used and the pit being the finisher but it’s still a cool pit.

https://youtu.be/BEYe5vSvBcg

rockinar
Pilgrim

Postby rockinar » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:31 am

bsooner75 wrote:The Salt Lick in Driftwood cooks open pit style. Although I’ve heard rumor of other cook methods being used and the pit being the finisher but it’s still a cool pit.

https://youtu.be/BEYe5vSvBcg

No they do not. That "open pit" is a food warmer. They cook on commercial smokers then refrigerate the food. Then they reheat it in that "open pit" and serve it. It's ugly. Might as well go to Dickies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyw5cK3x0SM&t=366s
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 am

I've been there three times in three years and the only thing they serve that's good is the chicken, the rest (other than beef ribs which are OK) is below par.
The brisket is dismal.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:48 am

I was giving Justin an idea of what an open pit looks like. If you’ll notice I eluded to the pit being a finisher. In no way was I endorsing the quality of their BBQ.

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:45 am

The Carolina's are a good source for covered pit smoking. I have seen their pitmastets on TV and they use cinder block pits with covers. I think I am just going to wing it as usual and just buy the one that looks the best to meet. Also wish me luck. My wife and I have found a brick home we are going to try to buy. I hope we can because I am ready to kiss the 16 × 80 wobble box goodbye.
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Justin
we inherited a 1900 cast iron wash pot from a farm
through the years someone drilled a hole in the bottom to use it as a planter
we use it as a patio table
and our outside fire-pot
Attachments
FirePot.jpg
FirePot.jpg (164.64 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm

I keep saying I'm going to build a grate for my fire pit but just haven't got around to it. :dont: :dont:

Pic1.JPG
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Firepit grills

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:45 am

JustinCouch wrote:Does anyone have any of those Firepit grills. All the ones I have seen are elcheepo or very expensive. I'm not interested in the ones that have the hand crank rotisseries. I would like one that has the Dutch oven hanger. If any of Yall have something like that I would love to see a pic. Also I invite all opinions in buying/using them.

I think Justin’s post has peaked my curiosity on these. Any of you guys know anybody in DFW that makes them? Curious what they cost. I’m thinking I want a boot rail, swing out cooking grate and Dutch oven hook…maybe

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”