Duck and Turkey

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RUBYRW
Rustler

Duck and Turkey

Postby RUBYRW » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 pm

I want to smoke a 6lb duck and 12lb turkey at the same time.
My outside temp will be 45 degrees F.
This is my first time smoking either bird.
We plan to eat around 4pm.
I am looking for advice on a start time and cooking temp to accomplish both cooks by dinner time.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Duck and Turkey

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:40 am

RUBYRW wrote:I want to smoke a 6lb duck and 12lb turkey at the same time.
My outside temp will be 45 degrees F.
This is my first time smoking either bird.
We plan to eat around 4pm.
I am looking for advice on a start time and cooking temp to accomplish both cooks by dinner time.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

I've never done a Duck, but I did 1 of my Turkeys last year this way which was 13#., The other went in the Big Easy ( oil-less turkey fryer )
It took between 25-30 minutes per # at 250/260 degrees.If I recall, it was close to 32 degrees out.
I used a drip pan with an inch or so of a mix of chicken and beef broth and smoked until the bird hit about 145 IT, and then cranked the heat up to 450 or so to get the extra crisp on the skin and pulled at 165 IT. I let it rest 30/40 minutes uncovered till we carved it up. First one I've done this way, it was really good.
Ur probably looking between 5-7 hrs, depending on the bird, rub, Marinade, or if you brine it.

As for the Duck, I would think at least 1/2 that time. I would suggest that it goes over a separate drip pan as well considering how greasy Duck can be. Last thing u want is flare ups from the grease.

Again, I'm just ( guessing ) on the Duck, but the Turkey time and temp should get you very close to a great bird :)

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the day.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Duck and Turkey

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:30 am

Also remember that the Duck can get very Dry on you before you know it - - - Sounds like you're headed for a Great Table Spread tomorrow - Good Luck :tup: :chef: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 am

I may be too late for any help on this but i would definitely start the turkey first. At about your halfway mark on him, add the duck.
(Insert witty signature here)
RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks for the info, I'll start the duck at the half way point. Wife is doing a traditional bird in the oven, so I guess we have a back up plan in place. Lol

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”