Fajita fail

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Fajita fail

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 pm

I cooked the skirt steak tonight and got the no vote from the wife. I made a marinade of lime juice olive oil soy sauce and a few other things. Next time I wile use a steak marinade and tenderize before cooking. She said the lime was overpowering. Better luck next time.
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Re: Fajita fail

Postby js-tx » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm

I've made the same mistake before, lime can be strong! I've heard Pappasitos restaurants uses 50/50 orange juice and soy sauce.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 am

Oh man,
Yeah, I don't like to use acidic too much because of that. I'd suggest cutting thinner strips and pound them out between Saran wrap sheets, then cook hot and fast.
That usually works for me.

No worries JC, u'll get it
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:09 am

I agree, cut thin (across the grain), pound flat, add dry seasonings (your choice) and cook fast until done WITH the own-yawns and peppers :tup: The own-yawns and peppers will take up any slack needed and, if not, then some sour cream and pico added to the tortilla wrapping should leave you wanting for nuttin else. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
westcoastsmoke USER_AVATAR
WestCoastSmoke
Wrangler

Postby WestCoastSmoke » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 am

Instead of lime juice try pineapple juice...not as harsh.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am

As others have mentioned, use pineapple juice in your marinade. You can also add some lime juice (or zest), onion, garlic, soy sauce or whatever else suits your fancy but there are specific enzymes in pineapple juice that tenderize meat. Here's some good reading for you if you're interested in learning more about these enzymes. https://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/pineapple-enzyme-tenderize-steak.htm
By the way, I've mostly stopped buying skirt steak to make fajitas as it's just so danged expensive these days. Don't shy away from substituting skirt with some cheaper steak cuts like sirloin. I find they're typically $1-$2 cheaper/per pound (or more if you catch them on sale) and the meat is far more tender than skirt. Some may consider that a faux pas amongst fajita purists but if I can save on cost and have a more tender cut of meat, I consider that a win-win.
Also, I understand that the Mexican restaurant industry consumes most of the supply of outside skirt (said to be more tender and meaty) and grocers sell the less desirable inside skirt to us regular folks.
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Fabuloso Fajita Marinade and REO Spice Fajita Seasoning. Can't go wrong.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am

Had me reaching for my credit card until I read the monosodium on the list for REO.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”