has anyone cooked with just hot lump charcoal?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

el luchador
Pilgrim

has anyone cooked with just hot lump charcoal?

Postby el luchador » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 am

im practicing cooking with roaring lump for the ultimate clean smoke and surprisingly enough my wife tells me she liked the food better.

has anyone else experimented with just lump charcoal?
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Re: has anyone cooked with just hot lump charcoal?

Postby tri3forme » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Coopers BBQ in Llano smokes their meat exactly how you describe, using Mesquite. It's on my bucket list. I've tried using lump charcoal from the store but I didn't get much flavor at all. Coopers burns their wood to coals and uses the hot coals. I don't know but maybe that method provides better smoke than using the lump charcoal from the store. Interested to hear what others have to say....
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 am

I've never tried in in my offset, but I do it all the time in my ceramic. I use Royal Oak lump, and it produces some really great Q. Low and slow, grilling, pizza, all with great results.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am

tri3forme wrote:Coopers BBQ in Llano smokes their meat exactly how you describe, using Mesquite.

Ah YES, Cooper's BBQ - one of my favorite stops when I Deer hunted in the Hill Country. For some reason my PU would NOT PASS IT without pulling in for some Reebz and Beans :tup: I've sold that PU and stopped Bambi bustin but I'm wondering if my RAV 4 could even drive by it now? I know for certain that I'd have to wear a gas mask from a mile on both sides of Llano. :texas: :chef: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
SMOKEYJIM44
Pilgrim

Postby SMOKEYJIM44 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 am

That Cooper method is the old fashioned "normal" way to make real barbecue. I think most serious barbecue sellers do it that way, with the meat directly over the coals. It takes a good bit more tending, but sure turns out some good eating. :shock: :D
Back in Texas, at last !!!! :texas:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 pm

Been a few years since I’ve been but Ronnie’s in Johnson City cooked that way and it was good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
js-tx USER_AVATAR
js-tx
Cowboy

Postby js-tx » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:25 am

Depends on the cooker, you can probably get a way with it on a ceramic like stated above, but on a cooker with more airflow you may be missing a bit of smoke flavor IMO. Try it.. you never know.
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Postby FAT » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 pm

I am still considering building a stone fire box near my smoker, so I can load straight coals in my smoker.

I typically have success with the wood I use, but recently ruined a 20 pound batch of jerky with bad smoke.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: has anyone cooked with just hot lump charcoal?

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:I've never tried in in my offset, but I do it all the time in my ceramic. I use Royal Oak lump, and it produces some really great Q. Low and slow, grilling, pizza, all with great results.

Truth written in stone ^^^^

I can't add anything here.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”