Smoked cheese ?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

Smoked cheese ?

Postby bondobill » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:26 pm

I had to try out the new smoker box. Smoked up a brick of Sharp Cheddar, Colby and Pepper jack. Smoked the cheese on the lower shelve of the box. With the pellet set at 180 the lower shelve of the smoker box never got above 70....probably helped that outside temp was 45. Smoked it about 4 hours. Let it cool outside after smoking, stunk gawd awful. :dont: It did smell better after it cooled down.
Once cooled I vacpack and set in the fridge.
Question is ...how long does it have to sit before trying it out. :?: I heard as long as 3 weeks and as little as 5 days. Was hoping it would be ready for the holidays.
The way it smelled coming out of the smoke has me thinking it may never be ready. :roll:

image.jpeg

Thanks
Bill
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Smoked cheese ?

Postby GTR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 pm

I've always let mine sit for at least 2 weeks. You should be ok by Christmas certainly for New Years. The longer it rests the more the raw smoke smell and flavor will mellow. That said my Dad will pull it out of the smoker and start eating. You didn't mention what type wood you used,?
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:34 pm

I use an Amaze-n tube to smoke mine. I am not a fan of heavy smoke on it, so I only let it go for an hour unless it's large blocks, then an hour and a half.

Then, wrapped in parchment paper in the fridge. Minimum is 3 days. The longer it sits, the better it gets. Also, I've found the different cheeses mellow at different rates, with, in my experience, cheddar taking the longest.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks GTR, 1911 :D
With smoking the cheese on the lower shelve of the box I'm hoping it won't be too smoky.
The box has 3 shelves. Smoke comes in at the middle shelve and exits at the middle shelve. Middle and top shelve would get more smoke I'm thinking. :dont:
Pellets for smoke where Perfect mix blend of cherry,Apple,maple and Hickory.
I was wondering whether or not to wrap them first in plastic wrap or parchment paper.
I'll probably open a pack in a couple days and give it a sniff. I quess I could at that point if need be take them out of the vacpacks and let them air out a couple days wrapped in paper. :dont:

Thanks all
Bill
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Hmmmmm... This reminds me I have a block of Colby-Jack that I smoked nearly a year ago. It's been vac-sealed and still looks good in the fridge. I've been hesitant to try it - not because of the age but how it smelled right off the pit. To a tee - - - "gawd awful"
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:56 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:Hmmmmm... This reminds me I have a block of Colby-Jack that I smoked nearly a year ago. It's been vac-sealed and still looks good in the fridge. I've been hesitant to try it - not because of the age but how it smelled right off the pit. To a tee - - - "gawd awful"

"Gawd awful" was putting it mildly.
I can't stand the smell of Scotch.....this cheese smelled worse then that. :laughing7:

:cheers:
Bill
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm

bondobill wrote:.
I can't stand the smell of Scotch.....this cheese smelled worse then that. :laughing7:

:cheers:
Bill

PM me next time you get a bottle. I'll make sure it's properly disposed of!

:mrgreen:
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 pm

txsmkmstr wrote:Hmmmmm... This reminds me I have a block of Colby-Jack that I smoked nearly a year ago. It's been vac-sealed and still looks good in the fridge. I've been hesitant to try it - not because of the age but how it smelled right off the pit. To a tee - - - "gawd awful"

They don't smell good right off the smoker. Smells equivalent to a barroom ashtray. They need time to mellow afterward. Given yours is almost a year old, I'd say it's perfect! Usually about 2-6 weeks is recommended rest time, but I'm no cheese expert. Methinks papa Tom may have better advice.
(Insert witty signature here)
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 am

Txdragon wrote: Given yours is almost a year old, I'd say it's perfect! Usually about 2-6 weeks is recommended rest time, but I'm no cheese expert.

Opened and sliced for a Christmas eve gathering.... WOW - very smooth and perfect smoke flavor. I can't remember how long I smoked it but would consider 30-60 minutes less next time. I'll be picking up some Monterrey Jack, Muenster and Jalapeno Jack real soon. Supposed to get down-right cold next week - good time for another cheese smoke.

:chef: :thap: :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”