Why Was My Venison Roast Mushy?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokinga
Pilgrim

Why Was My Venison Roast Mushy?

Postby smokinga » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Santa brought me a a new electric smoker, yay! Smoked a 3 1/2 - 4 lb venison roast for New Years Day, yum! Thawed it in fridge for three days, brined it overnight as directed, marinated for about 4 hours in dry rub, used hickory for smoke, use 1/2 cab & 1/2 water in pan, cooked with probe until 135 as directed, removed, it was as pretty as a picture, wrapped and let it sit a while, carved and served, taste was good however the middle tasted mushy, yuck!

What the heck..? Help!?

Thx!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Why Was My Venison Roast Mushy?

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

That's veal for ya. Especially if it's good. It should have a velvety smooth texture. Really soft. Otherwise, it's tougher than 500 year old leather. Lol!

Edit... Oh snap, venison.. Coulda swore I saw veal. Lol.
Mushy venison is usually not a good sign. I ate a "mushy" rabbit leg once, long ago, and was violently Ill for the week to follow.
(Insert witty signature here)
smokinga
Pilgrim

Postby smokinga » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 pm

Txdragon wrote:That's veal for ya. Especially if it's good. It should have a velvety smooth texture. Really soft. Otherwise, it's tougher than 500 year old leather. Lol!

Edit... Oh snap, venison.. Coulda swore I saw veal. Lol.
Mushy venison is usually not a good sign. I ate a "mushy" rabbit leg once, long ago, and was violently Ill for the week to follow.

That was a concern however no issues with becoming sick. I personally harvested the deer, field dressed it immediately, hung it in a cooler to age then was processed and quick frozen.
And as I mentioned I was very careful to thaw it properly in the fridge. I'm quite detail oriented and am convinced I followed the directions, however I'm not convinced the recommended 135 degrees IT was cooked enough..? BUT, if I knew what I was doing we wouldn't have met so...
Cheers!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Was it actually mush, or just a soft texture?
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:26 pm

I have cooked many a pound of Venison and I know that the worst thing you can do is to over cook it. There is no fat like you find in pork and beef. Was this a shoulder roast or a hind quarter ? If it was bone-in hind quarter then ?maybe? the brine got around the bone area and just didn't receive the proper heat as did the other part. :dont: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”