Cheap CAB

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JE13
Pilgrim

Cheap CAB

Postby JE13 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm

So I received a text from one of my vendors this morning. I don’t usually get brisket from them because they can’t compete with the others, generally speaking. Well today he had IBP select for 2.81 lb and Swift CAB for 2.44!! I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. Ive gotten cases of brisket from IBP, National and Creekwood but never swift. I know the standard for CAB so I’ve got high hopes but I just can’t figure out why the huge price difference. My only guess is I’m gonna have a lot of fat to trim.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Cheap CAB

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:32 am

Would you mind explaining the abbreviations IBP and CAB :?: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:43 am

I believe IBP was Iowa Beef Processors, now Tyson. CAB is Certified Angus Beef
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 am

:salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JE13
Pilgrim

Postby JE13 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Would you mind explaining the abbreviations IBP and CAB :?: :dont:

What TX1911 said (also my favorite pistol 8) )

I looked into it further and it appears the vendor in discussion only carry choice from IBP which would explain why they are a little higher than the select IBP the restaurant I manage normally gets. Ordering from vendors is new territory for me and the prior manager didn’t leave much for me to go off of...when I started talking meat quality with him and got the deer in the headlights look I knew I had my work cut out for me. Should be getting them to put in the pit today. I’m really curious because I’ve heard different opinions on the big 4 (IBP, Swift(JBS), Excel and National) I dont see how it would matter what packer it comes from if it has been given the CAB approval or choice, prime etc.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”