Grease fire.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Grease fire.

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:57 pm

I had my first grease fire with the weber last night. As usual I was about to put some thighs on. In the time frame of dumping the coals and walking to the kitchen to get the thighs I had a flaming inferno. I knew I had a problem the other day when my lower vents were grease and ash clogged and frozen up. Me being lazy I didn't address the problem then. I guess I need to get some degreaser and some hot water and fix this. I wish this thing had the old style vent wheels. I gotta start using drip pans.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Grease fire.

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:10 pm

how bout a sheet of foil and then dispose when necessary and replace :dont: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Are you talking about putting tinfoil down under the meat and around the parameter of the lower half of the grill?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Yes, NOW, was your grease fire from today's cook or from grease from the past??
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Been a while since I’ve had one (knock on wood). Cooked a mess of the tablitas from the Mexican market once. Next time I fired it up I had a nice little bonfire :) I just let it burn itself out and scraped off what was left.

As far as the foil, my only concern is blocking airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:55 pm

The fire was from a concoction of pork,chicken,and beef grease mixed with ash into a substance that burns hotter than the surface of the sun. I didn't think about all the indirect cooks I have done since I got this thing. I think I might try to pressure wash it next week. In putting it off because of work schedule. I get off before the shop closes next week.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Just a guess on my part but it sure seems the better part of valor to burn it off instead of pressure washing :dont: :dont: :dont: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:50 pm

I do use a drip pan when I’m cooking offset or using the Slow ‘N Sear. Also when I’m grilling I leave the vents open when I finish cooking to it will burn off any gunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm

I had a fire in the offset one time. I learned my lesson. That sucker was burning like a jet engine! :whiteflag:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 am

The stouter varieties of vinegar like apple cider are good for cutting grease.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Woah!! JC, all those drip pans and foil liner tricks. Too much to bother with. The grease will eventually take care of itself like it just did!! :laughing7:
Ok. Joke aside, got it outta my system! Glad nobody was injured!
Gotta get that squared away at least once a week, depending on usage. I'd probably clean up every other cook, if I'm cooking lots of chicken.

Boots wrote:The stouter varieties of vinegar like apple cider are good for cutting grease.

^^ That right there. Golden advice. Definitely use some sort of catch pan or foil at least as well.
(Insert witty signature here)
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 am

I have been used to using an old homemade grill and cooking direct heat. The homemade grill didn't have moving parts on the bottom of it. I started doing an every other time clean out.
Arto
Pilgrim

Postby Arto » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:57 am

I'm going to be making a drip pan out of a thick alum cookie sheet for my Pit Boss 820. I'm thinking 4 bolts for legs to hold it off the round drip guard. Should work, just have to get time to make it
ART O
Suffolk County NY
New to Smoking
http://www.longislandroofwashers.com
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 am

Also a "small" cookie cooling rack under your cookie sheet would keep you from having to drill bolt holes :dont:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cooling ... 91&dpr=0.8

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”