Prep and testing

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Prep and testing

Postby rus_bro » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Am cooking in a comp in about a month and need to get more hands wrapped around my flavors. This weekend was ribs. Until I can get a good recipe for my own run (still working on it) I picked 3 store rubs and did a little taste test with the family. I have locked in on one sauce at the moment and used it with all 3 rubs. Smoked with pecan and hickory in the Shirley cooking somewhere in the 250 range. (also need the time to get my hands wrapped around the offset cooker)
I spritzed and wrapped all 3 equally and I have to say they were all pretty good.

#1 Infidel - 0 out of 7 votes. Basic rub, nothing special
#2 Oakridge - 4 out of 7 votes. I thought this was the one, it has Cinnamon, Chilis and other interesting flavors that kind of set it apart. But a good point was brought up, those flavors really ruined the ribs of you don't like those flavors. My wife said it was the only thing she could taste.
#3 Sweet rub mine - 3 votes. Solid rub that was very close to#2 but with less drastic flavors. I decided this is the rub. I am going to up the salt and add a little spice. Should be a heck of a rub.

Just thought I would share.

BTW,I am LOVING the BBQ real estate with this pit!!!

Rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Prep and testing

Postby Rambo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:21 pm

I would send a PM to KAM [ he's the Comp Guru}
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 am

I am not a big fan of Oak Ridge because of the cinnamon. Good basic rubs that pair well with your sauces or glazes is what to shoot for. My go to rubs for competition are Suckle Busters Texas pecan and SPG. Try the Texas pecan as a base and the SPG as your top layer it is a great combination.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Thanks Kam. Really didn't realize this pay made it through b of been using a new pad for posting and having more trouble than I expected. Mainly the size of pix I guess. Posted a new version with actual pictures. :)
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”