I'm ashamed to even ask.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bondobill
Outlaw

I'm ashamed to even ask.

Postby bondobill » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Doing a brisket for Easter Sunday.
My daughter and DIL informed me they both are staying away from salt and sugar. :roll:
I decided Id do half a Turkey just for them. Found a thawed out 13lb bird, figured I'd cut it in half. Danged if I'm going to ruin a whole Turkey.
Anyone got a brine or a rub out there that doesn't use salt or sugar. :banghead:
Plan is to throw the Turkey in the pellet grille along with the brisket.

Women :roll: :whiteflag:

Bill
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: I'm ashamed to even ask.

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Ouch... quite a request. Now first I have to ask if your turkey has been "enhanced" (Butterball, etc.) and if so it'll have some salt for sure. Otherwise, you'll be on your own for a rub mix. I suppose you could start with the usual powders.........

garlic, onion, pepper, lemon pepper (saltfree)

From there you can add other flavor profiles - sage, rosemary, thyme, etc. - or go hot with cayenne, chili powder or chipotle.

Best of luck and tell us what you came up with.... should be interesting.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:42 pm

I tell people the food is on the table, no special requests. Eat it or bring your own. Have a niece who tried all kinds of weird diet stuff -- funny how she chowed down at my table during Thanksgiving.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Wow man, that is a tough one. That’s like two of the main ingredients in everything BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Bondo, I'll frame this in a way only an experienced panel basher would understand; All the customer sees is the paint, not what's underneath.

By that, I mean that there's sugar, and then well, there's shooogar, but by that I mean FRUCTOSE, which sounds like fruit, could be a Gala Fuji Braeburn Winesap from yer Granny Smith in Cortland delivered by a Northern Spy, whatever, point being, give that man an Apple, on the snapple!

A genuine WASHINGTON apple.

So to me, the key thing about turkey anyway is not overdoing it in the first place. Less is More, Lesser is Morer, and LESSEST IS MOSTEST FOR THE HOSTESS. So you are already heading in the right direction.

To wit, my suggestion from something I did sometime back. Mix up little genuine apple cider, some rosemary, a little bit of apple cider vinegar, and then brine that bird up a day or two to get some of that turkey gamey out of it and juice it up good. Then drain it, season the inside with a little sage and some more rosemary, mebbe some thyme, maebbe a little crushed garlic, a little cracked pepper, AND THEN slit a shiney green APPLE on 3 or 4 cuts down the side.

Now, for the next step, you gotta prepare a bit. Do some stretching, a few deep knee bends, maybe a little Ben Gay on the joints, you don't wanna pull a muscle. If it suits you, take a tug on an adult beverage. You wanna be loose for this; you tighten up, and the whole show is just gonna come down like when the elephant clipped the tent pole on 'ol PT Barnum.

Out of site of the bird, grab yer apple in one hand, I prefer the split finger fastball grip myself. Conceal it behind yer back. Now look in and get the sign. Wind up slowly, you want to try and fool 'em into thinking you are coming with the curve. Then, advancing on yer quarry in a stealthy but sudden and very deliberate fashion rush forward and SHOOOOOVE THAT PUPPY up into yer bird (don't be shy, assert yerself). Or if yer doing splits (split birds I mean, unless yer still into gymnastics), split the apple in two and lay one half up under each side. Then rub that bird down outside with some butter or Olive Oil like it was getting a tan on the beach down in Coronado, and sprinkle it with a loose crushed mixture of rosemary, thyme, a wee bit of sage, a little crushed garlic or garlic powder, maybe even a little paprika. Now, I did use some salt on mine but you can abstain. Now slowly smoke that thing until its real real happy. Over time, the apple inside heats up and steams out sweet applesome goodness up into yer bird as it cooks, and you get the sweet without the sugar, just like Momma's lacetop apple pie that used to sit up on the window sill and smell up the whole room real good.

Same trick works with an onion instead of an apple, but while in Rome, use a Rhome...
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Wild Bill, I have been in your shoes not too long ago when my D.I.L. was still living. She requested a no salt Gobbler and I did one beer can style for her. My son said it was the best turkey he'd ever eaten. Here is the Thread on that cook and also a recipe for an injection or beer can filler (your choice)
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26400&p=213612&hilit=sodium+free+gobbler#p213612

Low Sodium Turkey Injection
salt-free vegetable broth
wine
melted butter or oil
apple juice????

More Info
• 1/2 cup salt free vegetable broth
• 2 tablespoons salt free butter
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon finely ground pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ?seasoning?
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:15 pm

I too would use the " I see nothing" shultzs saying,lol. With salt n sugar, sometimes I'm known to disguise these. Some fussy people aren't all that fussy when hungry.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:18 pm

WOW!!!!...........I knew ya'll would come thru :cheers:
Thanks ya'll :salut:
After reading your replies and suggestions.....maybe all is not lost :D
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:40 am

I never brine a turkey. Try Spatchcocking it. Delicious
Attachments
T-Day 2017.jpg
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Well I whacked up the Turkey in half. Thanks to Boots the fussy women's half went in a brine of Apple cider, Apple cider vinegar and Rosemary.
The other half in a simple brine of Kosher salt and brown sugar.
I think I know which half I'll prefer. :laughing7:

Bill
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Brisket just got tinned.
image.jpeg

Turkey halves on. Bets y'all can't quess which ones for the no salt granola crowd. :laughing7:
image.jpeg

Bill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Looks good…great color on the bird on the left. Hope they enjoy the other one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:52 pm

I bought some no salt seasoning from Costco a while back. It was pretty good actually.

The birds look great btw.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:09 pm

More photos and results.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 am

Had a waitress come to me the other day with a moderate list of stuff the customer wanted to avoid; gluten, salt, sugar, nitrates, nitrites, etc.. She says, "What do we have?!" I came around the service line and walked over to the drink station and proceeded to pour a pitcher of water and said, "Take them this and ask if there's anything else they'd like to request." The owner about lost it laughing..
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”