Feedback from the community

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ppoida
Pilgrim

Feedback from the community

Postby ppoida » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:23 am

Hi Folks,

I love bbq and got excited about making a website about it, I would love some feedback from the community, basically if you were a beginner and just getting into BBQ would my website provide you the information you need? Love to hear what you think I appreciate the feedback

http://propanesmokerreviews.com

Cheers,
Pete
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: Feedback from the community

Postby rms827 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:16 pm

I always hate when nobody replies to one of my topics, so... :D

Overall the site looks pretty darn good.

Here's what I personally would change or add though...

First, you might want to add some sort of a cut away drawing showing how a propane smoker works. That can help sell some people, esp if they're analytical like me. :)

Make your pics a bit bigger also. Me, I'm old school and love to read. Most younger folks nowadays have a shorter attention span though, and you need decent sized, good quality pics or videos to catch their attention before they're willing to invest much time in reading. Some of your pics aren't even coming thru for me. That may be my security software though. Anything that data mines gets blocked on my PC

You mentioned on one of the pages that folks get a discount if ordering through you (IIRC), but i didn't see a storefront page. *IF* you have one and I didn't just misread you having a discount code for other sites, make it easier to find and make sure the storefront is HTTPS secure formatted. Nothing's a guarantee anymore, but if your site ever got hacked by some bad guy, you want to show you did your due diligence to keep data safe.

More recipes. This is what keeps people coming back to Traeger's website. They have a TON of recipes that you can cook. People come for the food and end up browsing grills and accessories. It's a great marketing angle that Traeger does better than most any other grill company. The one rib rub recipe you do have sounds great though. :D

Your pellets vs propane page is honestly kind of poorly written. You make it sound like pellet grills are glorified electric hot plates to be honest. If I didn't own one, I'd be confused on how a pellet grill works at all. That MIGHT lead me to go research your competition that uses wood pellets. You don't make it clear if you're just cooking with gas, or using gas to burn wood or charcoal either. Hence my first suggestion about that cut away diagram. As far as the lack of smoke flavor and smoke ring goes, I've got a few pics here on the site that can argue that point for pellet grills. :D At the same time, I'll readily concede the point that the cheaper ones do a poor job of smoking, and an offset stick burner is gonna smoke a little better than my Rec Tec. I guess that's my roundabout way of saying making the wording a bit less biased could help your case also.

And that leads me to my last point... I have ZERO clue here on how accurate your reviews are since I'm not familiar with propane smokers, BUT make sure to keep them as fair and accurate as possible. The internet is full of sites and reviewers that are just shills for a particular product or product line. Give folks unbiased reviews with the strengths and weaknesses of anything you review, and you'll gain trust fast. ;)

Beyond that, as said, it's a good looking site. The personal anecdotes give the site a nice homey. personal touch too. That'll help readers connect with you. Make sure to keep that aspect without beating it to death. :)
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

He lost me at propane.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Same here, but I wish him the best with his Venture :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 pm

One more thing, if I may :dont:

To me it's not BBQ IF there is no Wood or Charcoal included in the heat source. (Pellets are Wood)
WIKI:
Barbecue or barbeque (informally BBQ or barbie) is both a cooking method and an apparatus/machine. Barbecuing is done slowly over low, indirect heat and the food is flavored by the smoking process, while grilling, a related process, is generally done quickly over moderate-to-high direct heat that produces little smoke.

Barbecue can refer to the cooking method itself, the meat cooked this way, the cooking apparatus/machine used (the "barbecue grill" or simply "barbecue"), or to a type of social event featuring this type of cooking. Barbecuing is usually done outdoors by smoking the meat over wood or charcoal. Restaurant barbecue may be cooked in large, specially-designed brick or metal ovens. Barbecue is practiced in many areas of the world and there are numerous regional variations.

Barbecuing techniques include smoking, roasting or baking, braising and grilling. The original technique is cooking using smoke at low temperatures and long cooking times (several hours).
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Hmmmm - don’t think so. Not very much drawback on those bones in the photo - may need a little more time but the Glenlivet looks good.

I’m not feeling it - Good luck
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Now I have a Weber for cooking a hot dog or some quick with zero flavor. I owed a traeger and there’s nothing wrong with it for bbq. I chose to build my own and throughout love the crap out of it and bbqing with real freakin wood. Like the two before have said. Propane grills isnt even close to real bbq. It just can’t be done. Good luck with your web design
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:36 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:One more thing, if I may :dont:

To me it's not BBQ IF there is no Wood or Charcoal included in the heat source. (Pellets are Wood)

I thought pellets game from rabbits? :)

…stirring the pot is fun sometimes. I kid because I care Parts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 pm

bsooner75 wrote:I thought pellets game from rabbits? :)

I ain't buying it - - I'm gonna hold my breath and throw myself on the floor in a tantrum until you bring over a case of Shiner Bock and apologize in person - - - - holding breath now :D :lol: :laughing7: :salut:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:48 pm

rms827,

I give you ALOT of credit for the review you gave right there. You could have been ( arrogant ) but chose to not only be honest, but you did it while being humble and I'm sure he appreciates that as I do.
Nice to see that, just wanted to put my 02¢ in there regarding that.

As for your site, you get major credit as well. Not everyone will take on something like that and it takes alot of dedication to run thier own website. Also, not everybody is a fan of gas cooking, but imho it comes down to the individual at hand. I myself have had some tasty grub from a gas fuel source and I think that ur website is a good start towards a site that can be ( tweaked ) following the suggestions from rms above.

From someone that has had and still has ties with websites, I wish you the best with it and I hope you succeed with it for a long time.

Take care and good luck :)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:[quote="bsooner75"]
I thought pellets game from rabbits? :)

I ain't buying it - - I'm gonna hold my breath and throw myself on the floor in a tantrum until you bring over a case of Shiner Bock and apologize in person - - - - holding breath now :D :lol: :laughing7: :salut:[/quote]

You turn purple yet? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:54 am

Fell asleep the minute I assumed the prone position and when I woke up I couldn't remember why I was upset - - - Oh Well - - - - now where were we ?

Sooner Friend, my Dad was King of the Kidders - cept he called it Hoorahing and believe me, my Sons and practice it Daily - - - sooooooo- - - - Bring It On :tup: :salut:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”