BBQing in BULK

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

BBQing in BULK

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:57 am

I love to Q and have been doing it a while HOWEVER, I am not experienced in cooking large quantities for more than just my occasional Family Gatherings. THEREFORE, I need some help in freezing and reheating Briskets, Pork Roasts and Chicken Legs. It is possible that I'll do the Chicken Thighs, Drums and Link Sausage the day of the Rehearsal Dinner and just keep them warm but I need any and all suggestions from Y'all if you don't mind ? :bow: :salut:

We are predicting 40 people so I'll probably plan for 50 :dont: :?:

So far we're planning 2 large Briskets which my Son will cook ahead of time
Plus 2 8-9 lb Pork Roast which I'll do on my Pellet Grill and then Freeze until time
Sausage and Chicken have not been worked out ?yet?

Thanks Y'all :tup: :salut: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: BBQing in BULK

Postby Rambo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 am

I do this quite often when I crank up the stick burner. I let it rest, refrigerate, then vacuum seal it with my food saver. It can be warmed in oven or the Food saver bags are togh and sometimes I place the meat in a LARGE pot of boiling water. I don't like to warm in microwave.

FYI - KAM is pretty knowledgeable on this
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:44 pm

thanks, Rambo, I'm more than aware of Sir KAM's knowledge and hopefully he'll see this post. If not then he might just get a PM :lol: :laughing7: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:20 am

Morning Em.
How far in advance you going be smoking. :?:
If it was me I'd try to avoid freezing it if possible. If you have access to a vac packer I'd vac pack it after it cools down and just set it in a really cold fridge .
It will stay good in a cold fridge vac packed for well over a week .

Bill
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks, Wild Bill, don't think we'll have that time advantage with all that's going on at the moment but, if we do, then I'll surely do that. I just bought an extra used Whirlpool Frig/Freezer side by side for a $100 and so I'll have a place JUST FOR the Fixins which will help also. :tup: :salut:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Parts, when is this cook going to take place?
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Agree with the vac-pak & reheat in bag but change the wording from boiling to simmering.
I would pull the pork while hot and bag it.
tarde venientibus ossa....
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:35 pm

It has worked for me many times but I’ll take advice from the knowledgeable and not let it come to a boil. Thanks Tom
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 pm

GRailsback wrote:Parts, when is this cook going to take place?

The Rehearsal Dinner will be on May 18th but the "Cooks" will be at random times before that except for the thighs and legs which I'll probably do the afternoon of the Dinner :salut:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Rambo wrote:It has worked for me many times but I’ll take advice from the knowledgeable and not let it come to a boil. Thanks Tom

The reasoning behind this is that the water itself will never go beyond it's boiling point 212°F @ sea level but rapid boiling will cause the water to boil away then the bag can touch the bottom of the pot and melt...
tarde venientibus ossa....
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Ah, makes sense
scott p USER_AVATAR
Scott P
Cowboy

Postby Scott P » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 pm

I like to freeze my brisket and pork drippings into silicone ice cube trays. I place the frozen cubes in their respective food saver bags before sealing. When you reheat them by simmering in water, the juice keeps the meat moist. I only do one or two cubes per bag based on size.
Buddha Belly BBQ Team

18" WSM
22" WSM
26" Kettle
Genesis II S-310
Large BGE
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Em, we've got the rug rat due on the 16th, but I could bring my pit up there before hand and you can use it and cook day of, or day before it you want. It'll easily fit everything you listed.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 pm

thanks, Counselor, but the scheduling just won't work - - - we're just gonna have to spread it out in order to get other things done during that time :tup: :salut:
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Chicken and sausage is best done day of no doubt. If you have to cook the bird ahead of time you need to chill and de-bone then freeze.
For the brisket a method that just works is cook rest slice then bag with juices and freeze. On the day of your event cut the bag place in pan cover with foil and re-heat with oven on 325°.
You can do the same with the pork but add about a 1/2 cup apple juice to the pan.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”