The 2 day smoked double bone-in pork chop

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

The 2 day smoked double bone-in pork chop

Postby tri3forme » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am

So I was at a benefit for Firefighters last weekend at the Karbach Brewery and was fortunate enough to get VIP tickets. Well, unbeknownst to me, the VIP ticket included a pork chop dinner. Anyway, when we got to the brewery, I noticed a nice offset trailer pit in the front parking lot. Because I suffer the same affliction as most everyone else on this forum of being drawn to bbq pits and smoke, I wanted to walk over there and see what was smokin’ but decided instead that my thirst for a cold beer was just too much to overcome and would just come back later to chat up the pit masters. Shortly after grabbing my freshly tapped Staycation, the bartender informed us about the pork chop dinner. Finished my beer, ordered another one and walked over to visually inspect the free dinner. Holy Sheisters! They were serving double bone-in chops that looked outstanding with braised green beans and some sort of potato hash. I grabbed a plate and as the guy was putting a chop on my plate, I asked him how they prepared it. He said they smoked these chops for 2 DAYS @ 180!!! I was like “whatever, Dude. You’re yankin’ my chain. Who the heck is going to man that fire for 2 days?” He said he was serious. “This is what we do and we love doing it. Once you cut into that chop, you’ll notice it’ll be soft as butter and then you’ll believe me”. So, I cut into that chop and these were my thoughts:
That was the BEST pork chop I’ve ever had. Never knew this could be done to a chop. The outside had a dry crust to it, like it was beyond dehydrated and kind of crispy. Once I cut through the chop, the inside was soooo friggin tender. That crispy, smoky outside bark, combined with the tenderness and moisture of the inside was just unbelievable. I believe the guy now because of how that outside crust was developed. I just don’t know how one can develop that kind of unique crust and still keep the inside moist and tender after smoking it for 2 days (could have been 36, 48 hrs…I don’t know).

I’m now kicking myself in the rear for not taking a pic of this beautiful cut of pork but I just wanted to share my experience with y’all and also ask everyone here if they’ve heard of this type of method of smoking a double bone-in pork chops @ 180 for 2 days.
I don't eat to live....I live to eat
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: The 2 day smoked double bone-in pork chop

Postby Rambo » Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 am

How thick was this chop?
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Rambo wrote:How thick was this chop?

The chop was probably 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick.
Btw, just went on Karbach's website where they had the flyer for the event and they described the chop as being "Sous Vide and smoked". I guess that explains the moist and tender part but I'm still baffled as to how they achieved that crust.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Worthless without pics!! Sounds interesting.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 am

tri3forme wrote: He said they smoked these chops for 2 DAYS @ 180!!! ... Who the heck is going to man that fire for 2 days?”.

Agreed. 2 DAYS?!?!? WOOF !!!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed May 23, 2018 2:30 pm

I wonder how long the chops sat in the danger zone cooking at 180°. Typically that low the meat is cured before smoking.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
tri3forme USER_AVATAR
tri3forme
Rustler

Postby tri3forme » Wed May 23, 2018 2:44 pm

k.a.m. wrote:I wonder how long the chops sat in the danger zone cooking at 180°. Typically that low the meat is cured before smoking.

I thought about that too when I was pondering the process of a 2 day smoke but I believe (this is me answering my own question) smoke is a natural inhibitor of bacterial growth and because the inside isn't ncecessarily exposed to oxygen, there technically shouldn't be a 'danger zone' until after the meat is removed from the smoker. I could be wrong though.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Inhibiting bacterial growth: Isn't that why people smoked meat and fish in The Beforetimes? :dont:
Moink!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”