dry brine

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

dry brine

Postby eets-a-lot » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Does anyone ever dry brine a brisket?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: dry brine

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:11 pm

I don't know if you'd call it a dry Brine, but if I have time, I'll rub it down the night before and wrap it in Saran Wrap and put it back in the Fridg. the next morning,
( I'm an early Riser) I'll take it out and let it sit out a couple of hours while I'm getting the Stick Burner temps regulated, and then put it on.

Hope that helps.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:23 pm

After googling it would seem it is basically what Rambo does, as well as myself. With the exception of rinsing the meat before smoking. Guess you could rinse and reapply the rub once it's at room temp. The google recipes were for bird and pork.

On another note what part of Rockwall you in eets-a-lot?
I'm in Heath about a 3/4 miles east of the cop shop.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:29 am

GTR wrote:After googling it would seem it is basically what Rambo does, as well as myself. With the exception of rinsing the meat before smoking. Guess you could rinse and reapply the rub once it's at room temp. The google recipes were for bird and pork.

On another note what part of Rockwall you in eets-a-lot?
I'm in Heath about a 3/4 miles east of the cop shop.

Dry brine is what I do with steaks before I grill or smoke. I simply add a layer of Kosher salt and put in the fridge for 1-2 hours before I cook. The salt works its way inside the meat and helps to retain moisture while cooking. I do not add any more salt to the meat. after 1-2 hours in the fridge, I add Jack Daniels steak seasonings (nothing else and smoke steak for about 1 hour or so (depending on the thickness of the steak). I like steaks medium well to well done. Smoke until IT hits about 160 degrees then sear on grill (seal all four sides). Steaks are perfect for me and my wife (very little pink inside). Much better than simply grilling. I was just wondering if dry brine a brisket would have the same effect as on steaks. Not tried it, but I'm going to try it next time! Thanks for your response. I live in Lofland Farms just east of Rockwall off Hwy 276.
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 am

Rambo wrote:I don't know if you'd call it a dry Brine, but if I have time, I'll rub it down the night before and wrap it in Saran Wrap and put it back in the Fridg. the next morning,
( I'm an early Riser) I'll take it out and let it sit out a couple of hours while I'm getting the Stick Burner temps regulated, and then put it on.

Hope that helps.

Dry brine is pretty much as same as you do, except I rub Kosher salt (only) on meat and left it in fridge for a while before smoking. After a time in fridge, I use Jack Daniels steak seasoning (no more salt or pepper) and smoke until meat is done. The dry brining helps to add salt flavor and retains moisture while cooking. Thanks for your response. I have done it on steaks for long time but not tried it on brisket. I think I will try it. Also, I have not tried rub night before, just rub it just before I cook.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Rambo nailed it. Dry brining is basically rubbing it down 1 or more days before cooking. I dry brine turkey a couple days before cooking. Woah momma! But yeah, brisket, ribs, butts.. I try to rub down all of it the day before. At least 24 hours.
(Insert witty signature here)
eets-a-lot
Pilgrim

Postby eets-a-lot » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanx from all of you. I'm just finishing 2 small flats (no dry brining). I'll do the brine next week and post the results. Thank you!!!
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 pm

eets-a-lot wrote:Thanx from all of you. I'm just finishing 2 small flats (no dry brining). I'll do the brine next week and post the results. Thank you!!!

Good luck with it, eets-a-lot.

FWIW, I'm on the bandwagon here also. Beef and pork I consider it essential. Poultry not so much, but I wet brine those if I have enough notice. ;)
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”