Split wood - offset

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RUBYRW
Rustler

Split wood - offset

Postby RUBYRW » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:06 pm

If it toss a dry split in my offset I get dirty thick white smoke. So i usually always pre-burn them before adding. I just some how feel like I'm wasting some wood doing this.
It is an Oklahoma Joe, so it's not a huge firebox with a roaring fire to add splits and expect them to instantly burn clean...?
What does the majority do?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Split wood - offset

Postby limey » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Leave your firebox door open a bit till the split burns cleaner, couple of minutes does the trick.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:58 pm

I pre-HEAT my sticks in the (large) square firebox but if you have a round one you could try and balance one split lengthwise on top. Just be mindful that eventually it will catch on fire up there. :angryfire:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:02 pm

I have a flat top over my firebox, I can try heating them first. If I toss the split in the box and leave side door open, my temps jump up fairly high.
On my Oklahoma joe, what size splits are recommended?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:31 pm

No OKJ experience but I used to own a very small offset and even my current pit (insulated f/b) requires "small" splits. I like to have pieces about the diameter of a beer can and about 9" long. So, an 18" log cut in half and then split to diameter is what I typically use. I like to maintain most temp control with the fire size running all vents wide open so opening the door is not a big issue. Pre-heating the wood on the flat top will definitely help some. Keep a couple of pieces up there and rotate out as needed.
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
5DPatrick
Pilgrim

Postby 5DPatrick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Preheat the splits for sure, and use splits that are not longer than the coal bed. white smoke spews from the ends of the splits, so if they are over hot coals, the heat will help burn the smoke as it is produced.
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:42 am

If the flat top doesn't get hot enough and you don't use the flat top for warming sides (beans, etc.) then you could cut the flat section off and leave the sides making a cradle for the wood to pre-heat on. Again, you'd want to keep an eye on things because they can catch on fire after a period of time.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”