Will it fit?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

keltoids
Pilgrim

Will it fit?

Postby keltoids » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:50 am

Hey gents,

So I'm about to see if it was just beginners luck with my first brisket ever. Having a bbq this weekend and theres about 40 people who said they would show up.

My question is, will 3 briskets fit on an oklahoma joe highland? If so, will the extra meat on the grill effect cook time? I asked the store to give me 3 of the largest choice briskets they have (guy said they are between 12-15lbs. Will pick them up later.

There will be crock pot pulled pork and my buddy is smoking ribs on his smoker as a backup should my cook go horribly wrong.

I plan on starting the briskets tonight (friday) at 5pm and hope they will be done cooking around 8am saturday. Will foil and wrap in a towel in cooler until noon.

We plan on guest arriving around 1130 on saturday

Any and all advise welcome
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: Will it fit?

Postby rms827 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:20 am

I hate to say it, but your outlook there isn't good. Oklahoma Joe Highland looks smaller than my Rec Tec 680. I fit one packer brisket on it comfortably. (I use my top rack for the brisket and the lower rack for the water tray. If I stuffed mine I could probably get 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top. Without a water tray I'd be nervous about quality though. Air flow on all sides of anything you're smoking is important too.

My educated guess looking at information on other websites (I'm getting conflicting size info on the Highland) is that you'll be able to get 2 on it, perhaps with a little bit of a fight.

Given that you're trying to do three, you might want to consider cooking one or two ahead of time and then warming them back up. There was a post or two here somewhere about doing that. I'll leave that aspect to those with more experience however.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:31 am

From the success of that FIRST BRISKET POST you made not long ago,
I'm thinking that this is all you need to find out if they will fit or not :salut:
soft-measuring-tape.jpg
soft-measuring-tape.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
keltoids
Pilgrim

Postby keltoids » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Nope, not gonna be anywhere close to fitting. I can fit one just fine. But if I turn the smaller brisket perpendicular to the cook chamber. It might fit, but I doubt I will attempt.

Any ideas on what I should do with the second brisket?
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Wow.... Quite the dilemma right there. So, I have this crazy idea for you to try but please try not to laugh.

If you seriously need two briskets and only one will fit at a time consider smoking one for 6 hours while the other cooks in the oven for 6 hours. Then wrap the smoker one - exchange it with the oven one and cook the oven one in the pit nekid. Sorta a reverse smoke process.

The one that started in the oven may not be as smoky or "authentic" but at least they'll both be ready about the same time. Am I crazy or what????

:chef: :banghead: :chef: :dont:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
keltoids
Pilgrim

Postby keltoids » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:06 pm

My neighbor is gonna let us borrow their smoker. I hope it fits...I think they have one of those cabinet smokers. Here's the meat, seasoned, trimmed and ready to stick in the fridge for a couple hours. My trimming is something left to be desired, but hey...its for my friends and family!
Attachments
20180720_140149.jpg
20180720_140141.jpg
20180720_140130.jpg
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Trimming, like everything, takes practice. Briskets were still solid and in one piece, so you couldn't have done too bad, LOL.

Here's Aaron Franklin's video on how to trim a brisket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU I watched it a few times myself to learn how to trim one properly. His video right after this one is on the actual cook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ39yYxeBk I found that one also pretty helpful even though I didn't follow it exactly.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
keltoids
Pilgrim

Postby keltoids » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:28 pm

So I was only able to fit one brisket.

I borrowed my neighbors smoker and had a friend bring his smoker to help cook.

I had way more people show up to my house than expected.

Here's finished brisket!
Attachments
20180721_182314.jpg
20180721_182307.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:06 am

ya done yerself Proud :tup: and, Man, what an awesome Smoke Ring :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Will it fit?

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:33 am

OldUsedParts wrote:From the success of that FIRST BRISKET POST you made not long ago,
I'm thinking that this is all you need to find out if they will fit or not :salut:
soft-measuring-tape.jpg
Emm !!
Gimme my belt back !!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: RE: Re: Will it fit?

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 am

woodenvisions wrote:Emm !! Gimme my belt back !!

ROFL.gif
ROFL.gif (25.96 KiB) Viewed 2407 times

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”