Ribs and chicken today

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Ribs and chicken today

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:10 am

I’ll second what WV said. I screwed ribs up every way imaginable. It was actually one of the last meats I got any consistency on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pinoypitmaster USER_AVATAR
PinoyPitmaster
Cowboy

Ribs and chicken today

Postby PinoyPitmaster » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:27 pm

I let mine rest too for 30 minutes. It seems to me resting let’s the meat stick together more and doesn’t tear apart when cutting vs right off pit and cutting it seems to fall apart easier. I cook to that fine line of tenderness between about to fall off bone and not and resting keeps it on the bone for me.

I also remove the membrane. It makes the slab more pliable to me. I cooked side by side membrane on and off and i found -membrane on -curves the slab. I attribute it to membrane tightening. Both seemed to eat equally well but i remove it just in case that tightening does something i can’t sense. Again practice will reveal your style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lbm USER_AVATAR
lbm
Pilgrim

Re: RE: Re: Ribs and chicken today

Postby lbm » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Ok ,look at the smoker after work , the temp gauges are at the second self that was removed for the whole chicken ,I'll do something to find temperature at the lower grate , thanks for everybody's input and help
bsooner75 wrote:[quote="Sailor Kenshin"]We let ribs rest a short while, and always remove the membrane. Are you sure the heat was reading accurately?

I had the same thought. Are you taking the temps at grate level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:46 pm

This is just my 2 cents. I have found that I prefer BBQ ribs vs smoked ribs. Referring to cooking method. I cooked many racks of ribs on my new smoker till I figured out that the way I was cooking on the old grill wad a direct heat approach. Thing is on my old pit there was about 1 foot between the grate and the coals. So what that means is that I have a 300 dollar smoker that I only use for butts and briskets. No problem though. A man can't have to many grills. Next time you do ribs do them direct heat and see if your results change. Now after that I am not opposed to smoking ribs. I just prefer bbqing them over direct low heat. .
lbm USER_AVATAR
lbm
Pilgrim

Postby lbm » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:16 am

Went out this week and bought a maverick temperature probe ,put the temp probe for the grate and checked between the lid temp where the thermostat and 2nd grate to the lower grate and temp probe is almost 75* difference so again thank you ,cooking brisket today ,,,everyone have a safe labor day weekend Image

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”