Best time to foil wrap

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Best time to foil wrap

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:00 pm

bsooner75 wrote:KAM - do you add any liquid to the pan? I keep meaning to try your method. Mainly so my wife can continue to tell me I can’t leave well enough alone and never do anything the same way twice :)

Also - do you open it back up at the end to set the bark or is it seem to be set when you pan?
On choice and select briskets I will add one cup of Swanson's beef broth to the pan. I let the briskets rest for two to three hours then uncover for an hour to set the bark. They are either in my cambro or oven on warm when I set the bark the brisket needs to be back down to around 160°to get slices like you see.
I hope this helps. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Thank you!

tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:49 am

This is a very interesting discussion...I have some doubts about the risk of overcoocking the meat by wrapping up into the foil. I mean: ok just pull away brisket at almost 200 F internal temp...but what about ribs? How do you make sure to stop coocking the ribs at the right moment without using a thermometer?
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:53 am

I check the Angle of the Dangle and trust that for Ribs

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:04 am

Ribs are a lot more "Forgiving" and THAT IS WHY I cook Ribs and NOT Brisket :whiteflag: :laughing7: :lol: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:08 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Ribs are a lot more "Forgiving" and THAT IS WHY I cook Ribs and NOT Brisket :whiteflag: :laughing7: :lol: :D

You’re right but at the same time is very easy to get them overcoocked...and that’s a awful situation
Sometimes a passion needs just a spark to light and become a big fire that will never die...
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Best time to foil wrap

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 am

Tasso - it is very easy to overcook ribs in foil. That’s why you will see members repeatedly remind those asking advice that 3-2-1 is a guide but be flexible and don’t insist on using those times. 2-2-1 and 2-1-1 are used many times depending on rib type and temp.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:17 am

What Sooner said is very true, however, I always cook my Ribs on my Pellet Cooker and ?seem? to have pretty good control of the temps during a 3-2-1 . :dont:

Once again Smoking and BBQing have as many Participants and there are Opinions so play around and see what fits you best. :salut: :chef:

My last two racks have been very tender ?maybe too tender? and I had to remove them with spatulas at the end of the Cook. However, the Wife loved them.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:02 am

bsooner75 wrote:KAM - do you add any liquid to the pan? I keep meaning to try your method. Mainly so my wife can continue to tell me I can’t leave well enough alone and never do anything the same way twice :)

Also - do you open it back up at the end to set the bark or is it seem to be set when you pan?

K.A.M. appears to have the same finishing method I do; pan and wrap! I add about half to 3/4c of some sort of liquid, usually just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. When I pull the brisket to rest, I empty the liquid from the pan and let the fat rise to the top and get rid of it. Then the au jus left behind gets turned into sauce of some sort.
(Insert witty signature here)
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 am

OldUsedParts wrote:What Sooner said is very true, however, I always cook my Ribs on my Pellet Cooker and ?seem? to have pretty good control of the temps during a 3-2-1 . :dont:

Once again Smoking and BBQing have as many Participants and there are Opinions so play around and see what fits you best. :salut: :chef:

My last two racks have been very tender ?maybe too tender? and I had to remove them with spatulas at the end of the Cook. However, the Wife loved them.

ahaha using the spatulas to pull the ribs away it means they were almost melting on the grill...of course they were tender :cheers: anyway...you know what? I hate all the times that happens the same to me...I want pull them away at the right concistency and that is so difficult...even because all the times you get the ribs from the butcher's shop they are different. it means is almost impossible to standardize the procedure
Fooldancing
Rustler

Postby Fooldancing » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:11 am

I have yet to try ribs. For fear of sounding like the beginner that I am, what is the 3-2-1 method?

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

Fooldancing wrote:I have yet to try ribs. For fear of sounding like the beginner that I am, what is the 3-2-1 method?

3 hours open on the cooker 2 hours foiled and then 1 hour back open to tighten up.
This works ok if your cooking 225° to 250° but if you are cooking at higher temps your ribs will be over cooked.
I cook between 275° and 325° and go 2 hours open and 1 to 1.5 foiled then rest in foil vented for 30 minutes. I then open the foil and glaze then back on the cooker for 15 minutes.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
tasso-hunter USER_AVATAR
Tasso-Hunter
Rustler

Postby Tasso-Hunter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
Fooldancing wrote:I have yet to try ribs. For fear of sounding like the beginner that I am, what is the 3-2-1 method?

3 hours open on the cooker 2 hours foiled and then 1 hour back open to tighten up.
This works ok if your cooking 225° to 250° but if you are cooking at higher temps your ribs will be over cooked.
I cook between 275° and 325° and go 2 hours open and 1 to 1.5 foiled then rest in foil vented for 30 minutes. I then open the foil and glaze then back on the cooker for 15 minutes.

I don’t understand what you mean with “then rest in foil vented for 30 mins”...do you take them out of the grill, still wrapped, and let them rest? Then, you put them into the grill again and glaze? :?:
Why do you do that? :scratch:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Tasso-Hunter wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

I don’t understand what you mean with “then rest in foil vented for 30 mins”...do you take them out of the grill, still wrapped, and let them rest? Then, you put them into the grill again and glaze? :?:
Why do you do that? :scratch:

Take them off the cooker then slit (or open the top a little) the foil to make vents and let them rest for 30 minutes.
(Insert witty signature here)
Fooldancing
Rustler

Postby Fooldancing » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Thank you, I'll definitely have to try that.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”