Dummy Set Temp Too High

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

CoachEdsBBQ
Pilgrim

Dummy Set Temp Too High

Postby CoachEdsBBQ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 am

First time using my new Traeger, bought from my dad who used it twice over a couple years and didn't have the patience.

Cooking a 7lb brisket, center-cut flat. Brined it overnight in the fridge. Was supposed to preheat to 225. I did that, but in my tired state, moved it to 275, then put the brisket on. Recipe said to do it at 225 for 3 hours, then double wrap in foil and raise temp to 275 for 3-4 hours or until internal temp at 203. Then rest it for 30 mins without foil, on grill, then 15 mins off grill before slicing. Link to recipe:

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/b ... ed-brisket

I was using their iOS app and the paragraphs just ran together a bit for me and my eyes went to the 275. So irritated. So after three hours, I went to wrap it in foil and realized what I did. For now, I'm dropping the temp back to 225 for a bit, hoping it's not already ruined. Internal temp is at 157.

If anyone is on, would LOVE some advice on how to save this. For now, going to simply watch the temp and wait until I get close to the internal temp, then maybe crank the heat back up. Called a friend who mentioned possibly adding some moisture in some form to keep it from drying out, but I haven't done that yet.

Thanks!

FrustratEd
--
Ed
Smoking with: Traeger BBQ075.04
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Dummy Set Temp Too High

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:08 am

Welcome to the forum you can turn in your man card here for resorting to printed directions....... :mrgreen:

Brisket is fine leave @ 225 until the IT is something over 160°F then foil and turn it up to 275°F until it reaches 203° (I go 205°).
Then enjoy....
tarde venientibus ossa....
CoachEdsBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby CoachEdsBBQ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 am

Ha ha - thanks. Well, I've never done BBQ, so decided to follow the directions...and couldn't even do that! Thanks for the advice!!
--
Ed
Smoking with: Traeger BBQ075.04
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:11 pm

Don't Forget to let the brisket rest after you take it off the smoker for at least an hour maybe two before you slice it. If you have the time don't slice until the internal temp drops down to 150 - 145.

If possible let rest in an empty dry cooler/ice chest.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:15 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Don't Forget to let the brisket rest after you take it off the smoker for at least an hour maybe two before you slice it. If you have the time don't slice until the internal temp drops down to 150 - 145.

If possible let rest in an empty dry cooler/ice chest.

Good advice right here I did a brisket last night that I thought would be done about noon today for football food. Well it was done @ 7:AM so it went into a ice chest with some newspapers (to absorb moisture) and was still plenty warm @ noon.
tarde venientibus ossa....
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Quick heads up from personal experience, CoachEd...

I used the Treager website heavily for recipes when I first started pellet grilling. My personal experience is that the recipes themselves are generally pretty darn good, BUT they almost always cook at too high a temperature. If nothing else, you want to cook at 250 or below (the lower the better IMO) to get smoke flavor into your cook. It amazed me how many of their recipes started with "Set the Traeger to 350". At that temp, you might as well use an oven.

Anyway, use the recipes, just cook at lower temperatures and use a thermometer to go by internal temperature to determine when the food is done vs Traeger's times.

Sounds like you're in fine shape to make a recovery on the brisket anyway. Tired cooking goofs happen to all of us. The important thing is you caught it before the brisket became leather. :D
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”