Labor day experiment

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Labor day experiment

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:53 am

Howdy folks! I hadn't posted in a while but there's been lots going on so I'm just popping in and lurking when I can. I've been experimenting with a theory I am putting to the test today; I dunno if it's been done before or not, but.. All who know me will tell ya that I'm a BIG pusher of "fat cap up". Brisket, butts, if it has a fat cap, that is on the pit facing the sky. Now.. I've injected a fair number of briskets and while I've had good flavor results, I've not noticed much by way of the juiciness this is supposed to create. I thought back to my go-to style and put 2 and 2 together.. When the brisket is injected, you inject from the muscle side. This puts all those holes in the tissue that make for great escape passages for the liquid. The brisket tenses up during cooking sure to push most, if not all your hard work right into your smoker. The main reason for fat cap up is so the rendering fat can baste the brisket. Wait a minute.. The fat cap is basting the fatty side of the brisket?! Why bother basting a side that really doesn't need to be?!
So.. I've injected this brisket with about 2 cups worth of a homemade concoction and dropped it on the pit fat cap down.
It will still tense up, of course, but the injection should be less inclined to spill out with the help of gravity, being that it is not inverted, and what DOES come out should provide a tasty basting juice for the side that needs it.. **shrug**
20180903_073322.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: Labor day experiment

Postby rms827 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:57 am

Looks real good to me already. :D

I like fat cap up also. My brisket seems to stay more moist in my smoker that way. The Rec Tec, like alot of pellet smokers, has that big old heat shield right under the grill racks too though. I also cook at a real low temp. I might try fat side down if I was like the new guy cooking his brisket with charcoal. Anyway, the brisket goes up high in the Rec Tec, and the hot air seems to go across the top, soooo fat side up for me.

Enough rambling though. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :tup: :D
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:00 am

Good to see ya TD.
In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with experimenting and once again I believe there is more than one correct way to do things. Just a suggestion regarding those pesky injection holes.
I've found that sticking a piece of Garlic in the orifice right after the injector probe comes out really helps hold the liquid in pretty good. And a plus is now you have a small hint of Garlic in that bite.
Give it a shot, its works.

Looking forward to your verdict on this, its gonna be really good.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 am

Experiment or not, Sir Chefie, I am well aware of what "Your Cooks" look like when finished and I'm sure the taste compliments the appearance. So "Git'er Done" and post up a lookie see of what the innards look like. :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:
git-er-done.jpg
git-er-done.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:22 am

woodenvisions wrote:Good to see ya TD.
In my eyes, there's nothing wrong with experimenting and once again I believe there is more than one correct way to do things. Just a suggestion regarding those pesky injection holes.
I've found that sticking a piece of Garlic in the orifice right after the injector probe comes out really helps hold the liquid in pretty good. And a plus is now you have a small hint of Garlic in that bite.
Give it a shot, its works.

Looking forward to your verdict on this, its gonna be really good.

Good info on the garlic plugs. I hadn't thought of that! I've actually ordered some medical hypodermics in the 12g size. This could help the leakiness a lot. Lol!

rms827 wrote:Looks real good to me already. :D

I like fat cap up also. My brisket seems to stay more moist in my smoker that way. The Rec Tec, like alot of pellet smokers, has that big old heat shield right under the grill racks too though. I also cook at a real low temp. I might try fat side down if I was like the new guy cooking his brisket with charcoal. Anyway, the brisket goes up high in the Rec Tec, and the hot air seems to go across the top, soooo fat side up for me.

Enough rambling though. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :tup: :D

Thanks! I've been contemplating a pellet smoker lately. They've become so popular you have to move them out of the way to look at anything else and the price has dropped dramatically. Inexpensive+readily available=why not?!

OldUsedParts wrote:Experiment or not, I am well aware of what "Your Cooks" look like when finished and I'm sure the taste compliments the appearance. So "Git'er Done" and post up a lookie see of that beauties innards. :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:

Thanks! There will be pics.. Oh yes! I'll hopefully have some decent results.

I'm also working on another crafty design. It's in BABY phase right now. Still R&D intensive, but, it's looking good on paper! I'm near a prototype concept but I still think it's a tad clunky.. :(
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 am

I can't wait to see the results of your research. In experimenting with a Boston butt brine today. Just put it in a foil pan. We will see in a few hours.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 am

Hmm, 12 g is still a good sized hole considering the amount of steam/heat that will be trying to escape. It will still do Its best to come thru that tiny hole and its under some pressure so keep an eye on it.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:01 am

I don't do briskets so this is a complete Novice comment but
?why not inject from the sides? That would fight the gravity a little anyhow? I inject from the "top" (beer can sitting up position) with my Cluckers. :dont: :scratch: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:18 am

OldUsedParts wrote:I don't do briskets so this is a complete Novice comment but
?why not inject from the sides? That would fight the gravity a little anyhow? I inject from the "top" (beer can sitting up position) with my Cluckers. :dont: :scratch: :roll:

A good suggestion! I'll try that idea on the next one. My thought is that either top or sides, as the meat tightens up, it's still prone to getting pushed out. I'm thinking WVs idea of the garlic plug combined with any other method would yield better results for keeping the juice in.

woodenvisions wrote:Hmm, 12 g is still a good sized hole considering the amount of steam/heat that will be trying to escape. It will still do Its best to come thru that tiny hole and its under some pressure so keep an eye on it.

True. I'd figure it's about half the size of my commercial injector so it wouldn't hurt? All in all, it's still a hole. :(
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:24 am

I’ve only injected a brisket once and I did it with the fat cap down. Results were good just not worth the hassle for me. I did it well in advance of the cook (I think the night before) so it would have time to soak into the meat.

As far as fat cap up or down…depends on the cooker. More heat from the top, fat cap up, bottom heat, fat cap down. This is a change in philosophy from where I started several years ago but I’ve liked the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:56 am

3 hours in and I don't see any signs right now of juice runoff. Interesting.

20180903_103944.jpg
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Fat side Down always Fat side down.
That’s just how I do it. And don’t want to brag but my briskys are moist 99% of the time.
But as OUP stated, I have seen your past cook pics and All
Look awesomely delicious.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Fat side Down always Fat side down.
That’s just how I do it. And don’t want to brag but my briskys are moist 99% of the time.
But as OUP stated, I have seen your past cook pics and All
Look awesomely delicious.

Thank ya!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Turned out nicely! The thinner part of the flat was a tad dry but farther back was astounding!
20180903_174645.jpg

And some slices!
20180903_180015.jpg
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:31 pm

That looks sooooo goooooooood! :salut:
Moink!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”