Labor day experiment

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: Labor day experiment

Postby rms827 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Texdragon. Love my pellet smoker. It smokes almost as good as a stick burner, and it's pretty much set it and forget it. Rec-Tec's 40 lb hopper capacity makes it great for overnight brisket cooks too. Instead of exclusively pushing my model though, I'll say make sure you get one that can go truly low - below 200. That's when you get the results like mine. The Rec Tec can go down to 180. OUP's pellet grill can apparently go even lower than that (don't remember his brand). I'd avoid the brands that have just sprung out of the woodwork too. VERY cheap Traeger knockoffs, and Traeger doesn't live up to the hype anymore either.

TwoGuys... I tried fat side down on the brisket before last and it was drying out on the smoker. Personally I think it depends on how direct your heat is and how the air flows in the smoker. Pellet smokers are kind of indirect heat and the Rec-Tec seems to move air up and across the top. Ergo the top side of the brisket gets more heat for me. Of course Aaron Franklin swears fat side up every time, but nobody can argue with the cooks you turn out either. :D :tup:

And final pics got posted while I was writing, LOL. Looks great, Tx. :tup: :cheers: :chef:
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:08 pm

:tup: :salut: :cheers: I rest my Case :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 pm

OldUsedParts wrote::tup: :salut: :cheers: I rest my Case :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:
Did you say YUTES ???

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:49 am

Yuppers, I'll bet you thought I said Youths, din'cha? :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:02 am

Thanks all! There was plenty left over too. Bagged up in 2 batches. Might make some brisket chili tonight.. Haven't done that in a long while.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:08 am

With or without Beans :?: :laughing7: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 am

OldUsedParts wrote:With or without Beans :?: :laughing7: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

He said he was making chili :)

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:22 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:With or without Beans :?: :laughing7: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

Real chili has no beans!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:46 am

I do mine down and have for years. You catch a lot of heat from the "Uppers". I also dang near trim all the fat off my briskets
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 am

As for the fat cap up or down debate: I've always gone up. I will, one day, see about doing a comparison between 2 packers of the same weight, cooked in the same method but one cap up, one down. I will then weigh them after cooking to see the results. The heavier one will be the one that retained the most moisture.
Each one cooked individually at the same temp, same seasoning, the works. I'm willing to gamble the outcome will be either no difference or one that is completely negligible. If there's a minimum of 1% weight difference, I'll be sold on that particular stand. Not sure if it's been done before or not, but it should be fun anyways!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 am

If you do that, Sir Chef, then someone will post a thread that reads
"Does a brisket's Weight have anything to do with it's Moisture Content ?"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:39 pm

So you are saying during this test you will have a lot of brisket available so you will be inviting us up to eat? :)

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:33 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:If you do that, Sir Chef, then someone will post a thread that reads

A valiant, yet futile rebuttal attempt that topic would be! Since our body composition (and animals) is primarily composed of water, I'd say automatically; yes!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Txdragon wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:If you do that, Sir Chef, then someone will post a thread that reads

A valiant, yet futile rebuttal attempt that topic would be! Since our body composition (and animals) is primarily composed of water, I'd say automatically; yes!!

:scratch: :?: so you're saying that Beans add or remove weight from Chili :?: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”