Smoker Housekeeping

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RUBYRW
Rustler

Smoker Housekeeping

Postby RUBYRW » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:05 pm

I have an offset that I smoke with weekly or bi weekly. When I'm done I open vents completely...let the remaining wood/charcoal burn up anything left on grates. Then I close it up, wipe down the exterior and store it in my garage. I am very anal on cleanliness of my garage and cookware. However, flies always seem to gravitate to my garage and around my coolers, whether it be my smoker or charcoal grill. Do I need covers for them? Or will that promote growth from anything possibly not fully cooked off? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: Smoker Housekeeping

Postby Txdragon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Most of of the time, your culprit is all that collects in the cook chamber. Unless you're cleaning that out after EVERY cook. The grates are good with a brush down pre-cook/post-warmup. As long as your cook chamber gets to over 140°, you shouldn't have worries about bacteria on the grates. I thoroughly clean mine once a week on moderate use. Just a scrape out of any thick grime that may collect in the cook chamber. I re-season about every 6 months after a full burnout. Covers won't really help much with flies except to trap them inside. I USED to cover mine until I noticed that. Wasn't pretty after 2 weeks of no use. Lol.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”