Destroyed my brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Robr
Pilgrim

Destroyed my brisket

Postby Robr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:06 pm

I've read a ton before attempting my first brisket. I'm a noob and picked up a cheap electric smoker from lowes to see if it was something I'd use a lot before investing in a quality unit.

I'm in the Boston area, reasonably priced brisket is hard to come by and only two people in my house eat meat so buying a full packer makes no sense. I'm working with a 5lb flat.

I seasoned and put it in the smoker at 225 using hickory. Using two thermometers, when it reached 160 where it seemed to stall (about 4.5 hours), I wrapped it on foil until it got to 190 (another 1:45 or so). I then let it rest wrapped in foil in a cooler for an hour.

What I got was shoe leather. The smoke flavor was great, it wasn't dried out, just tough. I though maybe I didn't give it enough time at 190 for the collagen to break down so rewrapped in foil and put it in the toaster oven at 225 bringing it back up to 190 and held it at 190 for 2 hours. My shoe leather turned into a dried out brick.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

I double checked instructions I found about only cooking the flat and I don't know where I went wrong.
Last edited by Robr on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Destroyed by brisket

Postby limey » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:31 pm

You did not cook your brisket long enough, 200 to 210 when it passes the prob test. Happens to a lot of folks.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
flht01
Pilgrim

Postby flht01 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Agree, pulled it too soon.
If it’s too dry for chopping you might try using it in beans or chili. Brisket chili is one of my favorite’s, made quite a lot of it because of dry briskets :laughing7:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm

And another vote for early pull. I don't rely on temps because they're not entirely accurate. The meat is ready when it's ready; the probe test never fails. I also couldn't advise using an electric smoker as a basis for buying any other type of smoker. Electric smokers are good in their own way, but classed on their own. Not entirely an apples to apples comparison. I have a masterbuilt 42" digital electric and when I put a brisket on that and compare it to a brisket from my Oklahoma Joe, the results aren't even remotely similar.
(Insert witty signature here)
Robr
Pilgrim

Re: Destroyed my brisket

Postby Robr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks, looks like I'll be cooking some chili tomorrow.
So I foiled it at the right time but just need to leave it on regardless of temp until I can easily insert a probe?

I don't expect a $250 masterbuilt to match a rectec or traegar or whatever but hoping to at least get my meat tender enough to cut with a fork. Haven't tried ribs yet. Want to try to get the brisket down since that's my favorite.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:11 pm

In a pinch, we once used 'The Long Island Crutch'....a crock pot. No, it didn't have the bark of a brisket cooked right, but it saved a piece of well-smoked meat from being shoe leather.

Chili's a great alternative. But next time, I bet you won't destroy your brisket. The probe test seems to be the key.
Moink!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Yeah what they said especially Limey. Wrap @ 160°F then leave it go to 205°F (that seems to be the magic temp for me) and do the probe test smooth easy insertion says DONE!.

Also I had one electric smoker and it was frustrating for me in that it seemed to dry things out and temp control wasn't great it went out in a garage sale.

I currently use pellet cookers and recommend them but like any machine they too have a learning curve.
tarde venientibus ossa....
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:31 am

Robr wrote:Haven't tried ribs yet. Want to try to get the brisket down since that's my favorite.

Well.... many feel that brisket is the biggest challenge to get right on a consistent basis. You'll find ribs a bit easier and I highly recommend you try a pork butt. Pork butt is pretty cheap and cooks similar to brisket. Still, "probe tender" is the mark you're shooting for. Good luck and keep on smokin'... :chef:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:39 pm

If you want to continue with brisket, do as I do and buy a packer and cut it in half. Wrap a half and stick it in the freezer.
bigthicketbbq USER_AVATAR
BigThicketBBQ
Wrangler

Postby BigThicketBBQ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Agree with everyone above. 190 is too early. That temp doesn't allow everything to break down properly. The lowest I've ever had anything come out ok was 198. I usually shoot for 203-205.
——————————————
There is love enough in this world for everybody, if people will just look - Vonnegut
Instagram/behindthepinecurtain
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Thing is, was the flat a trimmed one? If it was trimmed you didn't have any fat/collagen to break down, and that's why it was so dry. Next time get the point, you'll have a better results, I'm sure.
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”