SMOKING MEAT IN PHILIPPINES?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

MapSangrines
Pilgrim

SMOKING MEAT IN PHILIPPINES?

Postby MapSangrines » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 am

Hi everyone! :salut: I was wondering if there are people in the Philippines here?

So how do i start? Uhm recently i became very interested in smoking meat... but looking at YT videos i find it hard to know which wood i could use in smoking here in the philippines.. been trying to look for some FB pages i could get myself into but failed... so this would be my desperate move being here... so far ive tried using "watery apple fruit" since it was the only available wood at the time... [im not sure if its also available in you're country; but it gave my meat this watery/refreshing and sweet taste.] Online i found out that mango tree is poisonous to use for smoking [which is very abundant in my place] so that kinda set some precautions on what wood to use from here on... At the moment we have Jack Fruit, Java Plum and Lime trees around our place... any one can suggest what i can use and cant among these trees? and maybe other locally woods you can suggest.. THANKS!
GTR
Bandolero

Re: SMOKING MEAT IN PHILIPPINES?

Postby GTR » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Might try this
viewtopic.php?p=272787#p272787
Haven't read through it in a while but may help you determine what you have and what can be used .
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:08 pm

I believe lime might be okay; don't people smoke with citrus woods? What sort of plum is Java Plum? In general, fruit wood is okay. Also, do you have pimiento trees?

This is a wood smoke chart. Hope it helps!

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/BasicSmoke_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf
Moink!
MapSangrines
Pilgrim

Postby MapSangrines » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:11 am

java plum is a native fruit here in the philippines. thinking of trying this out. so it seems that mango would be the one im avoiding for now
Attachments
images.jpeg
this is java plum.
images.jpeg (26.66 KiB) Viewed 6524 times
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:58 am

If sugar cane is grown in the Philippines, give it a go. I’ve used sugar cane many times for a light smoke flavor especially on poultry. The one issue with sugar cane is that it has to be fairly fresh or must be frozen for later use - it can’t be stacked stored like oak or pecan because it will rot. I’ve had several zip lock bags of sugar cane in my freezer in the past. Reminds me that harvest time is around the corner and I need to restock next trip to South Louisiana. :D

I cut the cane in 6 to 8” pieces, split the pieces, then add to the top of the fire just before putting the meat on. You don’t have to wait for clear smoke with sugar cane. Can add more cane during the cook if you like.

Some pics of sugar cane added to coals.
Attachments
F0698645-8285-422C-A50E-3F87DD25DF81.jpeg
1F06532E-A721-4FEA-A831-123ADDA96691.jpeg
33F6298F-844C-43E6-8FEE-7847117CB52C.jpeg
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:52 am

I still say we have the best Members anywhere :salut: :cheers: :texas:
applauding3.gif
applauding3.gif (173.22 KiB) Viewed 6518 times
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Bockbock
Cowboy

Postby Bockbock » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:46 am

If you do a search on "Whole Hog Roast, Philippine style -(Typhoon update)" You will see some pics of some philipinos cooking a whole pig using coconut shells as the fuel source. Not sure how well that will work for smoking meat in a pit, but may be worth a shot. I am sure there are several others on here that may chime in.
Bockbock
Dillo Q
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am

Haven't I seen someone cooking with coconut charcoal?
Moink!
MapSangrines
Pilgrim

Postby MapSangrines » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 am

thank you so much for the ideas guys.. really big help :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
MapSangrines
Pilgrim

Postby MapSangrines » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:44 am

egghead wrote:If sugar cane is grown in the Philippines, give it a go. I’ve used sugar cane many times for a light smoke flavor especially on poultry. The one issue with sugar cane is that it has to be fairly fresh or must be frozen for later use - it can’t be stacked stored like oak or pecan because it will rot. I’ve had several zip lock bags of sugar cane in my freezer in the past. Reminds me that harvest time is around the corner and I need to restock next trip to South Louisiana. :D

I cut the cane in 6 to 8” pieces, split the pieces, then add to the top of the fire just before putting the meat on. You don’t have to wait for clear smoke with sugar cane. Can add more cane during the cook if you like.

Some pics of sugar cane added to coals.

this is great... sugar cane is abundant here.. depends on the season tho.. but this is really great.. thank you so much...
Qeser
Pilgrim

Postby Qeser » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:35 pm

Mmm, what a "tasty" topic. Haven't created your brand yet? I would love to give it a try.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”