6 hour beer can chickens?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Billier
Pilgrim

6 hour beer can chickens?

Postby Billier » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:41 am

This weekend we bought a pit boss Austin xl. We used to have a knock off of an egg. We’ve done beer can chickens a lot. They always took 1.5 hours. This time it was 6 hours!! We’ve always used the 225 temp with the egg having to constantly be adjusted for going too hot and the pit boss is more electric I guess so it stays at 225. Any ideas?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: 6 hour beer can chickens?

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:49 pm

WOW ?6 hours? that instantly caught my attention - - - I have never done one on my Pitt Boss but mainly because I prefer the Kingsford Charcoal Flavor it gets from my ECB. (I'M CORRECTING MY BOO BOO) So now let me ask, how many birds were you cooking on the Pellet Grill ????

Maybe someone with some hands on will see this and comment also. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:35 pm

Not hot enough but the question is how/why?
Temps on a Kamado vary from lid seal level to up in the dome so your birds probably cooked hotter than you thought.
225 is too low for birds IMHO so crank it up to 275/350 on the pellet dribbler and see if the time gets shorter.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 pm

10-4 on need more heat - - - when I use my ECB the only Thermometer reading I mess with is my Therma Pen to see if she's done but the instructions for Oven cooking say 350 when Oven cooking. It's hard to over cook with them sitting on that can of beer/?liquid?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 pm

All my birds these days are cooked on a Webber Smokey Joe direct over the coals, spatchcocked for 45 minutes.
Never checked the temp but it's HOT!
Best bird ever.
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Six hours is forever with chicken. Even at 225, that bird should have finished well inside of 6 hours.

I like to spatchcock birds and go hot and fast (325 on the smoker, 400 raised direct on the Egg). The skin crisps up nicely and it doesn't take long at all.
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 am

I don't really do bird any less than 300; and that's if I'm taking my time with it.
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”