*UPDATED*Help needed on old lyfe time pit

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Phat_Meats
Pilgrim

*UPDATED*Help needed on old lyfe time pit

Postby Phat_Meats » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:39 pm

I am looking to restore this pit and this is my first attempt at it. I just starting sanding the pit down with 80 grit on most outer areas. As far as the inside of the firebox the rust is pretty rough. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!
Attachments
20181129_113615.jpg
20181129_113622.jpg
20181129_113559.jpg
20181129_113547.jpg
20181129_113635.jpg
Last edited by Phat_Meats on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lyfe Tyme single lid barrel smoker
GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker
22 inch red Weber Kettle.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Help needed on old life time pit

Postby Rambo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:51 pm

I have a LyfeTime, tremendous cookers. If you can afford it, just take it and have it sandblasted and painted. That's what I did when I bought mine second hand and it's lasted for over 15 years. I used the Sherwin Williams high heat paint but there is probably a newer, Better paint now, I don't know. It will take you time to learn how to cook on this pit but once you master it you'll be quite pleased. Go buy yourself some wood, they EAT wood. I start mine with one chimney of charcoal and roll straight wood after that.
Markw142
Cowboy

Postby Markw142 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:00 pm

To be safe, i'm going to note that you should not spray paint inside the pit or firebox... if you sand blast it or just sand/wire brush off the rust and hit it with rustoleum high temp paint, it should be good for a long time, just keep a can on hand and touch the paint up here and there as needed....on the inside, the easiest way is, after wirebrushing/sanding/blasting....get a couple cans of Pam cooking oil spray and douse the inside...light the pit and let her get seasoned again. (you can also use other types of cooking oils and a rag..but the spray on is easier.
WDS Cookers - Tomball Tx
LoneStar Grillz LSGTP 24’’X 84’’ trailer rig
Oklahoma Joe offset 20"x48" home rig
Weber kettle
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Yes, I did not paint inside, good observation
Phat_Meats
Pilgrim

Postby Phat_Meats » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. As of now my plan is just light sand with the 80 grit all around the entire outer pit and then get some good high temp bbq spray paint for the outside. As for the inside do I need to sand down to bear metal? Or would a sand till smooth of the rust and spray down with pam do just fine to get her seasoned. It is mainly just the firebox that has some thick rust on the bottom. The barrel seems to be just fine.. just minor rust spots. What do you guys think of this approach?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:02 pm

If you’ve got the strength and patience to sand it that’s a great plan. Not much you can do in the firebox
Phat_Meats
Pilgrim

Postby Phat_Meats » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Rambo, Do you think a wire wheel or brush attachment for a drill be better than sanding for the inside? Ive never used one but would be willing to go buy one if it makes things easier/faster.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Phat_Meats wrote:Rambo, Do you think a wire wheel or brush attachment for a drill be better than sanding for the inside? Ive never used one but would be willing to go buy one if it makes things easier/faster.

Beats me but it would dern sure be better than by hand physically
flht01
Pilgrim

Help needed on old life time pit

Postby flht01 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 pm

I recently touched up a klose pit about the size of yours. Mine didn’t have much rust but I used a 4-1/2” side grinder with a wire wheel. The wire wheel was the kind used to buff welds. I also sanded it to feather the paint to the bare metal for a smoother finish. Before painting with high temp paint I conditioned the metal with Ospho conditioner. That was about 18 months ago and it still looks good.
If you don’t have a grinder, I think harbor freight has them at a reasonable price. It should last long enough to finish your project.
I work with a couple of guys that use the LyfeTime pits and they really like them.
Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:44 pm

flht01 wrote:I recently touched up a klose pit about the size of yours. Mine didn’t have much rust but I used a 4-1/2” side grinder with a wire wheel. The wire wheel was the kind used to buff welds. I also sanded it to feather the paint to the bare metal for a smoother finish. Before painting with high temp paint I conditioned the metal with Ospho conditioner. That was about 18 months ago and it still looks good.
If you don’t have a grinder, I think harbor freight has them at a reasonable price. It should last long enough to finish your project.
I work with a couple of guys that use the LyfeTime pits and they really like them.
Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

Great Post
flht01
Pilgrim

Postby flht01 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks, Rambo.

FYI
I looked on the harbor freight site and the grinder with a knotted wire wheel should be less than $25 after tax. A word of advice, safety glasses and some type of gloves (preferably leather) would be highly recommended.

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:44 am

I've spent some time driving high speed wire wheel rigs and I beg you to avoid cheap wire wheels, go to a welding supply shop and spend a few dollars on a real one.
Cheap ones launch wire projectiles everywhere, including tender parts of the human body.
flht01
Pilgrim

Postby flht01 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:26 am

Chasdev wrote:I've spent some time driving high speed wire wheel rigs and I beg you to avoid cheap wire wheels, go to a welding supply shop and spend a few dollars on a real one.
Cheap ones launch wire projectiles everywhere, including tender parts of the human body.

Great advice.

Phat_Meats
Pilgrim

Postby Phat_Meats » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:26 am

I was going to buy a wire wheel for my drill but am kind of worried of over working my drill so will probably head to home depot and check out their grinders. Thanks for all the input and I will take pics once rust removal is complete. I really appreciate your responses guys.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:44 am

Phat_Meats wrote:I was going to buy a wire wheel for my drill but am kind of worried of over working my drill so will probably head to home depot and check out their grinders. Thanks for all the input and I will take pics once rust removal is complete. I really appreciate your responses guys.

If you get a 4.5 grinder, look around for the paint/rust stripper wheels. I HIGHLY suggest this over the grind wheel as the grinder can leave some nasty gouges if anything catches your attention for a split second. Lol!
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”