New to Smoking

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Legomedic3405
Pilgrim

New to Smoking

Postby Legomedic3405 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 am

Hey everyone. As the subject says, i am new to smoking. My wife just got me a new pellet smoker last week. So i decided to tackle smoking a brisket today. I had gotten some advice from a good friend of mine, but i think i went wrong somewhere. Todays adventure was with a 14lb whole beef brisket. I used a dry rub and it set dor 24hrs in fridge, then 1hr on table before smoking. I set my smoker at 225, once up to temp i placed brisket fat side up with point closer to heat source than the flat. Once the brisket reached 165° (about 5.5hrs) i wrapped with foil and continued in smoker until it reached 203° (another 5hrs). That is when i removed brisket, wrapped in towel and placed in cooler for 2hrs. After opening up the wrap, there was no bark. The rub was wet all around. The temp probe seemed to pierce the meat very easily, however when cutting the meat it was noticably dry. It wasnt tough to chew but not what i was hoping for. Anyone have any insight as to what i may have done wrong? Thanks in advance
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: New to Smoking

Postby GRailsback » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 am

Do you know what the meat quality was? Was it a select? choice? In order to end up with good brisket you have to start with good brisket. And don't be to hard on yourself on your first cook. There is an art to it, and you never start out with it.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:27 am

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:45 am

Welcome! To me, it seems as of you made my numero uno mistake of relying on temps. For the beginner, temps should really be used as a baseline only, the meat is done when it's ready to be done, the temp can vary. Did you probe test for tenderness before or after the rest? The rub being wet, steam from after the rest. Especially if you keep it wrapped while resting. I rest mine uncovered; if I wrapped it at all while cooking, the bark will set again as it rests uncovered. The meat being dry could be the grade/marbling or even overcooking. Did you happen to get any pics at all? Don't sweat the first one. Practice is always fun and in most cases, still pretty darn tasty!
(Insert witty signature here)
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 am

One piece of advice is when buying, select the brisket that feels the loosest and has the most "flop"..
Also the thicker the end of the flat the better.
Legomedic3405
Pilgrim

Postby Legomedic3405 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Hey everyone, thank you for replying. As far as grade of meat goes i can not tell you for certain. I got it as a whole brisket from the local butcher shop. The meat was very pliable and flexible. I had read about the probe test, but since its my first time i wasnt sure exactly how it should feel. I did probe test after the rest and it seemed that the probe pierced the meat with ease but after cutting i could deffinately tell it was dry. Unfortunately i do not have pics of it right after i cut it but i do have a couple the next day before reheating for lunch.

Would running at a slightly lower temp for more smoke for 2hours then increasing heat help or hinder getting a more tender brisket?
Attachments
20181203_130822.jpg
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm

From the pic, that is an incredibly lean brisket. Honestly, really lean beef is best served hot n fast, med rare! Lean cuts like brisket are doomed to a less than desirable outcome.
Your cook temps and even times were good. I average 9-10 hours on a 14lb packer around 225. As for the probe test, use a bamboo skewer and insert into the thickest part of the flat and you should feel no resistance. Should feel like you're sticking it into a tub of margarine. Don't lower the temps any more for "more smoke". It'll do fine from start to finish at your desired temp. The brisket will stop taking smoke once it reaches about 135-145 degrees anyways, best you can do is go straight to the smoker from the fridge for more smoke. With a counter rest from the fridge, this helps warm the meat a bit to help it reach temp faster; good for steaks and stuff, not a recommendation for bigger cuts. Why not shave some time off a 10 hour cook? So it can take more smoke, silly!
Looking forward to your revised attempt(s)!!
(Insert witty signature here)
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:55 am

I've started cooking pellet burner briskets for close to 24 hours these days..first 12/14 hours under 200 (or as close as I can get) followed by 225 for 6/8 hours with the last few hours at 250.
Best textured flat ever.
I don't aim for bark with my pellet rig, it just ain't gonna happen like on a "real" smoker.
Legomedic3405
Pilgrim

Postby Legomedic3405 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Thank you everyone for all your help. I am planning on taking another crack at it next week and will post my results.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:39 pm

Legomedic3405 wrote:Thank you everyone for all your help. I am planning on taking another crack at it next week and will post my results.

Please let us know and good luck to you :salut:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:12 pm

try using the thermometer as a guide, but truly rely on the probe method for doneness, practice on a room temperature stick of butter, memorize the feel of probing the stick of room temperature butter. The brisket should feel like that when it is finished cooking.
good luck and let us know how it goes before during and after keep good notes, they will help you improve. :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”