Brisket method help.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bbqbrisket USER_AVATAR
bbqbrisket
Pilgrim

Brisket method help.

Postby bbqbrisket » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:18 am

Based on my method, I’m not getting the moist, tender, crusted brisket I’m looking for.
The base of the method is to make every effort to not be up in the wee hours to add wood.
The procedure I have been using is as follows:
Equipment: Offset smoker with fuel box on one end and exhaust at the opposite end.
Fuel: Using the “Minion” method in a basket full of charcoal for consistent temperature followed up with wood on top for smoke maintaining a cooking temp of 225 degrees.
After approx. 5 hours, wood has burned down and only charcoal is left for heat. After approx. 8 hours coals have burned down to only minimal heat; not high enough to “cook”.
Brisket with, temp probe in, is then placed in a pre-heated oven to 225 degrees to 170 degrees internal temp; then wrapped in paper to approx 203 to 205 internal temp.
Removed from oven wrap in a towel and rested in an insulated cooler for approx 3 to 5 hours.
Can you see anywhere I can make a change in the procedure?
Thanks
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Re: Brisket method help.

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Sounds like you have the right procedures, however I wouldn't do the minion method in your firebox and i would increase your pit temperature to 250--275 degrees. Regarding the wood, what are you using ?chunks? logs? splits or chips? and more importantly what grade of brisket?
and I would also think about wrapping in foil instead of paper. While wrapping in foil add a little liquid of your choosing, this will help steam the brisket.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:43 pm

All wood, dry/seasoned oak in fact, no charcoal except a little to get the wood burning.
Raise the temp to 275/325 and aim for pale blue smoke (almost clear) from the exhaust.
You can wrap at 160 but if you wait till 180 the bark gets stronger.
Pull when a chopstick goes into the meat like it's soft butter.
I prefer paper over foil, but I read Franklins book...perhaps you should snag a copy, it's got a lot of good info.
Not everything there is to know but enough to bump start anybody and get you going down the right road.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 am

once you hit your "Target" temperature did you probe the brisket for tenderness? This is where you cook until tender, the grade if brisket comes into the equation here and may play a part in how long you need to or need not to cook for tenderness. The "crust" you are trying to achieve can be amplified or reduced in your method of cooking whether you wrap in foil or paper or not at all. Take good notes and on your next cook review your process then try for the tenderness before you try methods to increase the bark. To have your meat tender and a big crispy sweet crust is most folks desire and takes time to learn.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
arnietex USER_AVATAR
ArnieTex
Pilgrim

Postby ArnieTex » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Curious what rub or rubs you are using and are you applying any mustard or other binder?
ArnieTex.com
Smokin' Lonestar bbq team
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxOJ_ ... YqbPRAfLNw
Instagram
Twitter
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 am

I add more fuel as the grate temp starts to drop from my target. Your method is fine. The only thing I see is that you're trying to get the job done on one round of charcoal, then going to the oven. That's like trying to drive cross state on one tank of gas then taking a taxi the rest of the way. If your wood is burnt up after 5 hours, you've gotten about as much smoke as the brisket is gonna take anyways. At that point in MY cook, I'm less concerned with smoke and more concerned with temp regulation.
What offset smoker are you using? Mine is an Oklahoma Joe Highland; that sucker LOVES its charcoal. When I'm cooking a brisket, I can easily go through 24-32 lbs of it. So your cooker is an integral part in figuring out how to fix your issues. They usually have a temp sweet spot that is easiest to maintain. The downside to that is if the cooker prefers the higher temps; 300 and above. Lol!

My suggestion, add briquettes when your temp starts dropping. You can still toss on a bit of wood for some smoke but, it's now at a point where it's no longer critical TO the cook.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 am

What Temp do Y'all look for usually to know it's time to start Poking/Probing for butter like entrys :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:56 am

No need to look Emm until about 185
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am

:tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
ʹ89hog USER_AVATAR
'89HOG
Pilgrim

Postby '89HOG » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:22 pm

I agree with what a couple others are saying. Cook the entire brisket in the smoker and add wood as needed to maintain the 250-275 temp. If you want to wrap it up after 8 hours that's fine. I've tried wrapping with both foil and paper, but I usually leave it unwrapped. I recently tried paper and it turned out really good. I may need to try it again with paper just to see if it was the paper that made it juicier or it was just a better cut of meat.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”