Brisket rest time?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

motabbq
Rustler

Re: Brisket rest time?

Postby motabbq » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:22 pm

Txdragon wrote:
JustinCouch wrote: This is an experiment Brisket so I was planning on doing something just like that

Being an experimental brisket, DO NOT get discouraged with less than desirable results.

Well said. People that cooked more than a few of these have had a brisket that is not up to snuff. Myself included. You can always get your favorite bbq sauce and make some chopped beef. Also brisket chili is always a treat...

I got some left over ribs and brisket from Christmas and chili will be on tomorrow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Txdragon wrote:
JustinCouch wrote: This is an experiment Brisket so I was planning on doing something just like that

Being an experimental brisket, DO NOT get discouraged with less than desirable results.

I am enthusiast about this cook. In watching the temps like a hawk and I have a 4 pack of red bull to keep me awake! In just going to do what I know how to do and cook with love.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:59 pm

motabbq wrote:
Txdragon wrote:

Well said. People that cooked more than a few of these have had a brisket that is not up to snuff. Myself included. You can always get your favorite bbq sauce and make some chopped beef. Also brisket chili is always a treat...

I got some left over ribs and brisket from Christmas and chili will be on tomorrow....

Reckon you could tell me how to make that chili???? Brisket didn't turn out so good.
motabbq
Rustler

Brisket rest time?

Postby motabbq » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:31 pm

[/quote]Reckon you could tell me how to make that chili???? Brisket didn't turn out so good.[/quote]

Forgot the pinto beans... double up on the kidneys and black is good.. try to find the organic version... yeah yeah chili with beans is sacrilege...

Beans go well with the mix of what you see in the pic.

Depending on brisket smaller cubes if tough. Drop in your 2 lbs of cubes brisket. Only add some more salt and pepper if your brisket was lacking. Don’t be afraid of salt and pepper.

Next dump in your cans of Rotel. Let it simmer 15 mins. Keep flame hot enough to boil, but stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking and burning.

Dump in your cumin(4tbs or to taste), chili powder(cup or to taste), garlic powder(2tbs or to taste) one sweet onion chopped into chunks about size of meat cubes and stir it all up. The color should now be looking darker.

Simmer 30 mins this is dependent on meat toughness. Your breaking down the brisket and getting it to absorb all your ingredients.

If you think brisket is getting soft then add your kidney beans and let it simmer for another 20mins.

Add your black beans the last 10 mins.

Dependent on how saucy you want your chili lid and unlid as to preference. More moisture helps when reheating....

Adjust your times to what works for you. I’ve gone as long as 2 hr cook. 1:15-130 may work for most folks.

motabbq
Rustler

Brisket rest time?

Postby motabbq » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Might as well...

Forgot can of tomato sauce from pic

One other thing of course add the spices to your taste. Less bold and more mild cut back across the board. Start with less and build up to your taste...

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:00 pm

What happened?
(Insert witty signature here)
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Txdragon wrote:What happened?

Tough and dry. Basted every hour for around 6 hours. Put in foil pan and wrapped at around 170 degrees. Prob tender at around 8 hours. Flat was 204 and the point was a little lower. The point was deff more tender than the flat. Going back on the cook I think I either trimmed off to much fat. Since I have only cooked 4 Briskets and this has been the only problem child I don't really have much to compare to.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:55 pm

JustinCouch wrote:

Tough and dry. Basted every hour for around 6 hours. Put in foil pan and wrapped at around 170 degrees. Prob tender at around 8 hours. Flat was 204 and the point was a little lower. The point was deff more tender than the flat. Going back on the cook I think I either trimmed off to much fat. Since I have only cooked 4 Briskets and this has been the only problem child I don't really have much to compare to.

Trimming the fat didn't make it to dry. My briskets are darn near naked when I do them and they come out fine. Maybe Dragon or Grailsback can offer an opinion; and others
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:41 pm

I never buy anything lower than choice grade. But like to cook prime or CAB. I also cook my briskets nearly identicle to how KAM does his. But I do not do any trimming, ever, no matter the size of brisket. I cook low and slow at 250 to 270, its where my pits likes to run. When it gets to be probe tender, I always end up with nice moist brisket. I will admit it took me some time to become consistant at it. But I always start with a good quality piece of meat, it matters.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:15 pm

JustinCouch wrote:

I'd blame the brisket itself. Just a tough one.
(Insert witty signature here)
arnietex USER_AVATAR
ArnieTex
Pilgrim

Postby ArnieTex » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 pm

GRailsback wrote:I never buy anything lower than choice grade. But like to cook prime or CAB. I also cook my briskets nearly identicle to how KAM does his. But I do not do any trimming, ever, no matter the size of brisket. I cook low and slow at 250 to 270, its where my pits likes to run. When it gets to be probe tender, I always end up with nice moist brisket. I will admit it took me some time to become consistant at it. But I always start with a good quality piece of meat, it matters.

I agree, if you want a good brisket it's always better to start with a "good brisket".
To get a really great moist juicy brisket unwrapped cook it low n slow and keep a clean fire or it will be sooty, you can cook hotter wrapped in paper and even hotter wrapped in foil with good results both ways, it does take a couple or few times to get it right but GRailsback made a good point about his cooker "its where my pits likes to run", that's important too. Every cooker is different and at times we need to adjust to it not the other way around. My Hasty Bakes like to run at 300-325 for most of the time and slows to 275ish towards the end as the coals die down. Spritzing is way over rated imo, especially if you are going to wrap anyway. I like to cool mine down to below 160 and prefer 145-150 before slicing, sometimes it takes a couple hours and at times a little longer.
ArnieTex.com
Smokin' Lonestar bbq team
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxOJ_ ... YqbPRAfLNw
Instagram
Twitter
rus_bro USER_AVATAR
rus_bro
Rustler

Postby rus_bro » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:26 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:I wrap in foil when the barks where I like it, usually between 165 and 180 then pull when internal hits 200
Bring inside and “Burp” it. Open the foil and let the steam out for about 10 minutes. This helps the bark set a bit stiffer, (at least I think so) then rewarp and set in cooler for 3 to 4 hours. Usually don’t slice until internal temp drops to 145.

Dang, now I wish I was smoking a brisket 8)

I do almost the same. When the brisket is aound 200 I open the foil and keep it in the smoker till it gets up to around 202.. I like how it firms up that bark...

Rb
KCBS CBJ - Smoke On The Bayou BBQ Team, Houston TX - CAPTAIN
Englishdave
Pilgrim

Postby Englishdave » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 pm

I normally try and rest my brisket for a couple of hours in a warm cooler box once its between 195 and 200 as long as she is buttery when I poke her, but I'm thinking about investing in a hot holder and resting them at around 150 for 8 hours +. I watched a video of a behind the scenes at Franklin's and I saw that he was taking his briskets off the smoker and into the warmers at about 1am which means they are holding for 11 hours till opening time!

Apparently holding for longer is better for the meat but I am yet to test it!

I need to start taking more pics of my smokes to show you guys Haha.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Had my longest ever rest over Christmas on what was intended to be an emergency backup family meal.
I had wrapped in pink paper once the desired bark was reached. It was then wrapped in burlap over that and placed in a soft cooler.

The original lunch meal was fine so my brisket received a total of 8 hours before we finally dug in. It was still warm and delicious!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”