Well, it wasn't BBQ'ed.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

crazyhorseconsulting
Pilgrim

Well, it wasn't BBQ'ed.

Postby crazyhorseconsulting » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:28 am

I know this is blasphemy, but I just got to pass this one on. Lora and I went to Young county today and butchered some feral pigs. One of them completely dressed out at two and a half pounds.

I cut the carcass up like a rabbit carcass, just larger, ended up with 10 pieces of meat off that animal.

Lora seasoned the meat and we let it set a while. When I got ready to cook it, I coated all the pieces in flour, and chicken fried it. The whole thing lasted 3 of us about 10 minutes.

Lora and I have been experimenting with various ways of cooking feral pigs, but by far, this is one of the best we have come up with.

Sorry to lower the standards of this place by talking about frying something, but until Lora and I married, that is the only way I knew how to cook stuff.

My new listing for fried meat is baby feral pig = #1.
Cotton Tail Rabbit = #2.
Wild Turkey Breast Nuggets = #3.
Fried Chicken = #4.
Mesquite was invented to make meat taste good.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 am

Go for it.
:wav:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:36 am

Please explain a Feral Pig..... :?: :)
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:57 am

Sounds real good to me. Uhhhhhhhhhh, where's the pics :dont:
Jim
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Re: Well, it wasn't BBQ'ed.

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:59 am

crazyhorseconsulting wrote:I know this is blasphemy, but I just got to pass this one on. Lora and I went to Young county today and butchered some feral pigs. One of them completely dressed out at two and a half pounds.

I cut the carcass up like a rabbit carcass, just larger, ended up with 10 pieces of meat off that animal.

Lora seasoned the meat and we let it set a while. When I got ready to cook it, I coated all the pieces in flour, and chicken fried it. The whole thing lasted 3 of us about 10 minutes.

Lora and I have been experimenting with various ways of cooking feral pigs, but by far, this is one of the best we have come up with.

Sorry to lower the standards of this place by talking about frying something, but until Lora and I married, that is the only way I knew how to cook stuff.

My new listing for fried meat is baby feral pig = #1.
Cotton Tail Rabbit = #2.
Wild Turkey Breast Nuggets = #3.
Fried Chicken = #4.

Hey I think we ALL like fried things! If it's unhealthy, it's for me! :wink: :lol:
catfish USER_AVATAR
catfish
Pilgrim

Postby catfish » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:20 pm

SteerCrazy wrote:Please explain a Feral Pig..... :?: :)

it's a wild pig but it is a domestic breed
it looks more like it does now than it did a while ago
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:15 pm

No Pics???????????
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
crazyhorseconsulting
Pilgrim

Postby crazyhorseconsulting » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:46 am

Sorry!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I ain't real good on taking pics, and that pig was one of 10 we butchered that day.

2 of them, Lora fixed up as ready to cook gifts for some friends, the rest Lora is processing to use for some of the meals for our clients on our upcoming Javelina hunts in west Texas.

Cutting the little one up and chicken frying it was a spur of the moment idea I came up with. I was not even sure if it would work. After it was cooked, everyone was eating so fast there wouldn't have been time to stop for pictures, or the photographer wouldn't have gotten any oinker.

As for the term or name Feral Pig/Hog, a little different definition, is that feral pigs/hogs are swine that were at some point in their life and/or ancestry were domestic.

Swine are native to Europe and Asia. Until the Spanish and other Europeans brought them over, there were no wild pigs in North America.

Down thru the years, pigs would get loose, or be turned loose, and because they are intelligent and highly adaptable animals, they were able to survive and proliferate in their new home.

Fast forward to the mid to late 1990's, and for whatever reasons or chains of events, feral hog numbers exploded all over the U.S., but especially in Texas, California, and Florida. Other than the fact that feral hogs do not put on the amount of fat as a domestic hog does, the meat is the same.

Animals, under about 250 lbs. on the males, and not sure on the females as far as weight goes, taste really good when cleaned up and cooked. The meat cooks up white just like domestic pig, but is leaner.

Over they years, some people and some hunting ranches turned loose male European Wild Hog males, to breed with the feral hogs already loose.

All domestic hogs, with the exception of the Vietnamese Pot Bellies, were obtained thru captive propagation and developement from the European Wild Hog.

Because of their intelligents and adaptability, hogs can revert to a wild state in a couple of generations.

Sounds like they would make a great addition to the habitat and provide hunting opportunities. Problem is, in a natural state here in the U.S., they have few predators, can have and raise two litters of 4 to 8 piglets a year, can go thru or under any fence, and are omnivorus to the point that they will eat anything they can catch. That includes ground nesting birds and their nests, deer fawns, lambs, kid goats, etcetera. On top of that if they receive much hunting pressure they will become nocturnal in their movements.

They are as big an ecological disaster as Fire Ants. If they could be managed like deer or elk it would be great, but they can't. At this point in time Texas Parks & Wildlife estimates that there are over 1 million wild/feral hogs in Texas, and that is probably a conservative estimate. Some folks feel that it maybe be closer to 2 million.

Anyway, there is a more long winded explanation of feral pig.

Hope that gave you some answers. :) :) :) :)
Mesquite was invented to make meat taste good.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:52 am

NOW I know what a Feral pig is! :lol: thanks!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”