Firebox FULL of wood

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Firebox FULL of wood

Postby Slippy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:17 pm

New Guy Alert!!!

Got caught up in the YouTube vortex over the weekend and came across one of Matt's BBQ Pits videos... This one: https://youtu.be/kLwYpfHB864?t=230
This a fire technique I am not familiar with. Is this common? Filling the firebox full of wood and lighting the top of the pile? I would have guessed that airflow would be very limited, as well as ash smothering wood below at some point...
But Matt seems to prefer this method... This would be a game changer for me if this really works.... Any experience with this technique?

Cheers!
Rockwall TX | BigHat Ranger Offset, Large Big Green Egg, Really old Weber Kettle, big pile of pecan and post oak....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Firebox FULL of wood

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Not me BUT Welcome to the Forum, Slippy :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Ive never heard of this technique, but hey you learn something new everyday. I guess it depends on your firebox and the ability to completely choke out your fire after your cook.
Any how WELCOME To the Madness :taz:
slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Postby Slippy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome :cheers:

I doubt I have much to offer this group of well seasoned Qers... But you never know. Maybe I'll discover a new type of fire :angryfire:
Rockwall TX | BigHat Ranger Offset, Large Big Green Egg, Really old Weber Kettle, big pile of pecan and post oak....
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Slippy wrote:Thanks for the welcome :cheers:

I doubt I have much to offer this group of well seasoned Qers... But you never know. Maybe I'll discover a new type of fire :angryfire:

Welcome! This is a type of minion method. Much like laying out a bed of charcoal and lighting the side opposite your air intake. Burns slower that way. The wood burning down will burn just as slow. This requires good seasoned wood and a pit with really good draft.
(Insert witty signature here)
slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Postby Slippy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Txdragon wrote:
Slippy wrote:Thanks for the welcome :cheers:

Welcome! This is a type of minion method. Much like laying out a bed of charcoal and lighting the side opposite your air intake. Burns slower that way. The wood burning down will burn just as slow. This requires good seasoned wood and a pit with really good draft.

Thanks. Very familiar with the minion method. I'm tempted to load up the pit and do a dry run... In fact a have a few sticks I pulled out as unfit for food... I was wondering how I was going to get rid of those..... :idea:
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 am

If I have wood unfit for food it doesn't go in my smoker.
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 am

Interesting... thanks for the link. I'm learning on a new larger pit and had a difficult time keeping the temps up last weekend. I think I've got to build a larger fire, it's not the same as smoking on my backwoods :lol:
slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Postby Slippy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Running a test now... Not looking good. Fire does hold nicely around 260, but it's dirty smoke... Been running for about an hour and not really cleaning up at all. I would say it is not a good idea to use this technique... Not too surprising, but worth a test to get rid of some dried up old wood...
Attachments
IMG_9907.jpg
IMG_9906.jpg
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:45 pm

It's all in the stack. Can't just pile it in all willie nillie. Strategically placed, it could work. ;)
slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Postby Slippy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:22 am

Amazingly, not long after I posted (about 1.5 hours into the burn) it cleaned up quite nicely and ran clean for a good 5 hours unattended. So, maybe it could work if the conditions are right... I doubt I will ever chance it with meat in the chamber... Chicken maybe :dont: ......
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:00 am

Slippy wrote:Amazingly, not long after I posted (about 1.5 hours into the burn) it cleaned up quite nicely and ran clean for a good 5 hours unattended. So, maybe it could work if the conditions are right... I doubt I will ever chance it with meat in the chamber... Chicken maybe :dont: ......

I usually give even charcoal at least an hour to settle in. I've burned wood this way and it's good. Time til ready will vary per cooker.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”