David's Flavor Logs?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BadStellaBBQ
Pilgrim

David's Flavor Logs?

Postby BadStellaBBQ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:14 pm

I see these at my local market street. Bags of either Oak, Hickory, Pecan, or Mesquite. Has anyone ever used these for smoking? I thought I would give it a shot and almost bought some yesterday until I noticed a handwritten sign in front of it by a store employee that said "Pinion wood". Since Pinion is obviously it's own type of wood I asked a store employee what the sign was about. He said it's Oak, Pecan, Hickory, or Mesquite pinion wood. I told him that makes no sense. I'm guessing whoever wrote the sign was not informed? Anyway, has anyone ever used these David's flavor logs? I was interested in them because I like the size, logs are cut into about 6 inch chunks.

Thanks for any info.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: David's Flavor Logs?

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:49 pm

I guess everyone has their own pinion about wood...... :dont:

To answer your question I've never heard of them, but I'll do some checking.
tarde venientibus ossa....
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:00 pm

OK I'm back David's firewood is out of Clovis NM and specializes in piñon wood the site says nothing about hardwood.

Is the hardwood possibly from another source?

Oh BTW Welcome to the forum....
tarde venientibus ossa....
BadStellaBBQ
Pilgrim

Postby BadStellaBBQ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Papa Tom wrote:OK I'm back David's firewood is out of Clovis NM and specializes in piñon wood the site says nothing about hardwood.

Is the hardwood possibly from another source?

Oh BTW Welcome to the forum....

Thanks for the welcome!

You are correct about that company and their location. I spoke with someone with the company and as I suspected the employee at the store was just clueless. They do sell piñon (that's their primary business as you said) but those bags say piñon on the bag. The bags I was looking at are as they state on the bag, either oak, hickory, pecan, or mesquite and they sell those specifically for smoking meat. Looking forward to using it. I always cut my own logs from my oak firewood into smaller lengths for the smoker. I was interested in their product when I saw it because the logs are already cut into 6 inch lengths. No more chopping!
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:03 am

new to this as well, the only pinion I had ever heard of before this was pinion pines, which is a soft sappy creosote producing wood. There is a place in Texas that has said pinion pines growing on it, so I will watch and see where this goes :happ:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”