Brisket Question, Thanks

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Brisket Question, Thanks

Postby Michael0506 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:47 pm

Hello all,

I went to HEB today and was going to buy a Prime but the weren't marked so the guy came back and marked them at $4.19 lb! I said they are supposed to be $2.99lb he said no it's $4.19!

Well I saw 3 12-14 lb packers for $1.96 lb and they looked outstanding good flex, thick flat end, small deckle and not that fat all around!

Then I decided to go to another HEB tonight and saw they had a 19 lb Prime great marbling thick flat and the price was $2.99 lb, what gives! The only thing is the sell by date was 1/30 and being I was going to smoke Saturday night through Sunday, I figured the date would be to old!

Questions

1. Is there a huge difference in all around taste and quality of packer/select vs Prime!

2. can I buy that Prime one sell by 1/30 and fridge it till Saturday 2/2 and still be safe or just get a later sell by date!

3. I know most people get the $1.96 select/packer for value, if I cook low and slow at say 250
for say 1.5 hrs P-pound how close can they get a prime cook!

4. What are you guys buying, Prime or Select!

Sorry is I sound dumb in question!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Brisket Question, Thanks

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 am

I usually buy choice but select that pass the tests work as well
I don't do comp anymore so I cook to the crowd mostly me ....and family.

I have never cooked a prime so I cannot answer but they should turn out more tender and juicy.
OK I mostly responded to answer #2 yeah you can wet age that brisket well beyond the best by date with no problems.
I have seen significant differences in the texture of the finished briskets and generally choice is better than select however cooked to the proper poke test they are all good.

I tend to lean to a thick flat brisky that is also flexible when buying.

No dumb questions here especially about briskets they can be puzzling but practice (experience) goes a long way to creating consistent finished dinners.
tarde venientibus ossa....
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 am

Papa Tom wrote:I usually buy choice but select that pass the tests work as well

I have never cooked a prime so I cannot answer but they should turn out more tender and juicy.
OK I mostly responded to answer #2 yeah you can wet age that brisket well beyond the best by date with no problems.
I have seen significant differences in the texture of the finished briskets and generally choice is better than select however cooked to the proper poke test they are all good.

No dumb questions here especially about briskets they can be puzzling but practice (experience) goes a long way to creating consistent finished dinners.

I really appreciate the great answers,

So when you say poke test, do you mean if the Therm probe goes in easy or tooth pick? Also can a whole brisket be made into burnt ends?

Thanks
motabbq
Rustler

Brisket Question, Thanks

Postby motabbq » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:28 am

Michael0506 wrote:Hello all,

I went to HEB today and was going to buy a Prime but the weren't marked so the guy came back and marked them at $4.19 lb! I said they are supposed to be $2.99lb he said no it's $4.19!

Well I saw 3 12-14 lb packers for $1.96 lb and they looked outstanding good flex, thick flat end, small deckle and not that fat all around!

Then I decided to go to another HEB tonight and saw they had a 19 lb Prime great marbling thick flat and the price was $2.99 lb, what gives! The only thing is the sell by date was 1/30 and being I was going to smoke Saturday night through Sunday, I figured the date would be to old!

Questions

1. Is there a huge difference in all around taste and quality of packer/select vs Prime!

2. can I buy that Prime one sell by 1/30 and fridge it till Saturday 2/2 and still be safe or just get a later sell by date!

3. I know most people get the $1.96 select/packer for value, if I cook low and slow at say 250

1. Most definitely a difference in prime and packer. The marbling and the fat is just buttery on a prime brisket. If you have access to a Costco try their prime. I prefer it over H-E-B prime...

2. This last year I’ve experimented with freezing and wet aging. I’ve had a brisket in the fridge over 30 days after I bought it... as long as the vacuum is not punctured cooking the 1/31 brisket on 2/2 will not be a problem... some of the best briskets I’ve cooked have been wet aged... I’ve frozen briskets and 6 months later pull out put in fridge let it thaw and you could not tell the brisket had been frozen for the last 6 months.

3. A packer can still be enjoyable especially the point. However again the buttery fat of a prime is just better. I’ve done cooks with a packer and prime and while the packer was great it just can’t beat a prime. The extra dollar a lb is worth it.

4. Prime all the way... Costco if you can. But H-E-B is still very good..

As for size. I like smaller briskets.... 19lb is a big girl. My top limit is 13lbs. Conceivably I could look at a 15-16lb brisket and then trim and shape down to 13lb. 10lb briskets for me just cannot be beat... H-E-B on occasion sells brisket points. I couldn’t pass up this packer one. I saw a prime one once and passed up because the shrink wrap had been ripped and the meat likely had been touch by folks looking through the meat.... by the way no way 4.19lb pass... 2.99 or 3.29 yeah...

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by motabbq on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
motabbq
Rustler

Brisket Question, Thanks

Postby motabbq » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am

Michael0506 wrote:

So when you say poke test, do you mean if the Therm probe goes in easy or tooth pick? Also can a whole brisket be made into burnt ends?

Thanks

Easiest way for poke is take a pretzel stick or kabob skewer and push into a newly opened peanut butter jar... if your flat has that feel and your temp is 190-205 you are there... the point with all the fat is more resilient so worry about your flat.. yeah a thick one is always good...

michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:39 am

motabbq wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:Hello all,

Questions

1. Most definitely a difference in prime and packer. The marbling and the fat is just buttery on a prime brisket. If you have access to a Costco try their prime. I prefer it over H-E-B prime...

2. This last year I’ve experimented with freezing and wet aging. I’ve had a brisket in the fridge over 30 days after I bought it... as long as the vacuum is not punctured cooking the brisket 1/31 on 2/2 will not be a problem... some of the best briskets I’ve cooked have been wet aged... I’ve frozen briskets and 6 months later put in fridge let it thaw and you could not the brisket had been frozen for the last 6 months.

3. A packer can still be enjoyable especially the point. However again the buttery fat of a prime is just better. I’ve done cooks with a packer and prime and while the packer was great it just can’t beat a prime. The extra dollar a lb is worth it.

4. Prime all the way... Costco if you can. But H-E-B is still very good..

As for size. I like smaller briskets.... 19lb is big girl. My top limit is 13lbs. Conceivably I could look at a 15-16lb brisket and then trim and shape down to 13lb. 10lb briskets for be just cannot be beat... H-E-B does on occasion sells brisket points. I couldn’t pass up this packer one. I saw a prime one once and passed up because the shrink wrap had been ripped and the meat likely had been touch by folks looking through the meant.... by the way no way 4.19lb pass... 2.99 or 3.29 yeah...

ImageImageImage

WOW, thanks!
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:41 am

motabbq wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:

Thanks

Easiest way for poke is take a pretzel stick or kabob skewer and push into a newly opened peanut butter jar... if your flat has that feel and your temp is 190-205 you are there... the point with all the fat is more resilient so worry about your flat.. yeah a thick one is always good...

Great thanks,

So do the poke test on the flat only at around 190-205? When do you wrap, I like the butcher paper, tried it last smoke!
motabbq
Rustler

Postby motabbq » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:54 am

Michael0506 wrote:
motabbq wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:

Thanks

Great thanks,

So do the poke test on the flat only at around 190-205? When do you wrap, I like the butcher paper, tried it last smoke!

That all just depends on your cook temp size etc. I do paper as well.

For example a 10lb brisket... 5hrs into a cook at 250 I’ll wrap and then at around 9hrs I’ll check.. usually another hr or 2 and check again... and if poke is good I’ll pull and here’s the secret to make your brisket even better. Let it rest. I like a minimum of 3 hrs.. leaving in paper I’ll wrap in a towel and place in a cooler. The brisket continues to cook. I can guarantee 3 hrs after rest your brisket will still be hot enough to burn your hand. Anywhere from 145-160... you’ll see steam. I actually use an HEB Kodi cooler. The small one. It will start warping over time because of heat... The pay off will be how moist it may turn out.. not all are perfect but it’s the chase of those perfect ones that make it worth on those long cooks... and the enjoyment that friends and family get is the ultimate payoff.... have fun I’ve killed a few over 20+ years I’ve cooked but still get a high when you cut into one and think Dammn that is just darn good!

michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:34 am

motabbq wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:
motabbq wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:

Thanks

Great thanks,

For example a 10lb brisket... 5hrs into a cook at 250 I’ll wrap and then at around 9hrs I’ll check.. usually another hr or 2 and check again... and if poke is good I’ll pull and here’s the secret to make your brisket even better. Let it rest. I like a minimum of 3 hrs.. leaving in paper I’ll wrap in a towel and place in a cooler. The brisket continues to cook. I can guarantee 3 hrs after rest your brisket will still be hot enough to burn your hand. Anywhere from 145-160... you’ll see steam. I actually use an HEB Kodi cooler. The small one. It will start warping over time because of heat... The pay off will be how moist it may turn out.. not all are perfect but it’s the chase of those perfect ones that make it worth on those long cooks... and the enjoyment that friends and family get is the ultimate payoff.... have fun I’ve killed a few over 20+ years I’ve cooked but still get a high when you cut into one and think Dammn that is just darn good!

Awesome and thanks so much,

So say I smoke a 12-14 pounder. pull at around 5-6 hour mark, then wrap and when it hits around 190-206 mark leave in paper and wrap with towel and place in my Yeti cooler for 2-3 hours?

Do you spritz the brisket during the naked cook! 1-6 hours in!
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:57 pm

4.19 a lb is usually the butcher trimmed price at HEB for primes. Packer nontrimmed price is usually 2.99 on up for prime. HEB also has the natural Choice Angus for usually 4.99 lb. These are trimmed and are really great as well.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
motabbq
Rustler

Brisket Question, Thanks

Postby motabbq » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Michael0506 wrote:
motabbq wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:
motabbq wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:

Thanks

Great thanks,

Awesome and thanks so much,

So say I smoke a 12-14 pounder. pull at around 5-6 hour mark, then wrap and when it hits around 190-206 mark leave in paper and wrap with towel and place in my Yeti cooler for 2-3 hours?

Do you spritz the brisket during the naked cook! 1-6 hours in!

I do not spritz. If your bark looks ready and you’ve had some decent smoke wrap away... Depending if I’m using my 20+ years pits and spits stick burner or my 2 year Kamado joe i can put water in the stick burner in the drum and water in my grease pan of the of the egg. Really not needed on the egg but I’m so used to on the stick burner that I ran the egg in similar fashion. I’d say buy a cheap roto molded cooler. Yeti are pricey and over many cooks they will warp on the inside...

On Dec 2017 I had to cook for a friends retirement. To feed about 70. 6 briskets. I had to use both in 35 degree weather windy and raining. Had to put a welding blanket on the egg just as precaution against temps..

michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks for replies!

I talked to a HEB meat manager today and I am happy being he said that HEB now only sells Choice, Prime and above! He said they no longer sell the Select cut which is below the Choice cut! So now I'm glad I bought the 3 now called Choice briskets yesterday! But will get a Prime as well!

EDITED, THHE GUY AT HEB WAS FULL OF :soap:
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:30 pm

BINGO,

I found my new go to Brisket supply at a good HEB, they have the Choice cut at $1.96lb and it peaved me off because I bought 3 Select Cuts the other day for $1.96lb! It's like all HEB's have different stocked cuts! I went to at least 4 different HEB's who only had Select, Prime and above, but zero Choice Cut stocked!

Oh well, guess I'll see how the 3 turn out and the one 12 lb Prime and compare!
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_1a2c.jpeg
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:50 am

Michael0506 wrote:

Thanks

The poke test on a brisket I use an ice pick as a tooth pick is too short, I use the tooth pick on ribs..
now for the real reason I responded, I work with a long time HEB employee and he assures me that different HEB stores have different price schedules, mostly reflected by the demographics of the neighborhood relative to the store location. So your brisket price difference could well have been true and not a mismarked piece of meat. I have encountered the mispriced meat at various stores, we live in a unique area and have easy access to three stores one of which is a plus, in addition we have access to three wally worlds one of which we consider a primo store. :chef:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
michael0506 USER_AVATAR
Michael0506
Wrangler

Postby Michael0506 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:53 pm

spacetrucker wrote:
Michael0506 wrote:

Thanks

The poke test on a brisket I use an ice pick as a tooth pick is too short, I use the tooth pick on ribs..
now for the real reason I responded, I work with a long time HEB employee and he assures me that different HEB stores have different price schedules, mostly reflected by the demographics of the neighborhood relative to the store location. So your brisket price difference could well have been true and not a mismarked piece of meat. I have encountered the mispriced meat at various stores, we live in a unique area and have easy access to three stores one of which is a plus, in addition we have access to three wally worlds one of which we consider a primo store. :chef:

Great info, Thanks!

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”