First time smoking, chargriller with side box

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

First time smoking, chargriller with side box

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:32 pm

So ive had a hankering for brisket and have purchased a used chargriller with the side firebox. Ive looked and will probably mod this some and build a better smoker at some point but i needed a place to start. Ive got a nice 18lb brisket and some ribs. The question i have is roughly how much fuel should i expect to go thru? Im sure ill have heck getting temps right with this grill and im probably gonna be frustrated with it but end of the day the grill was $40 and the brisket was $39... i expect some aggrivation. Im just not exactly sure how much fuel i will likely burn during this first smoke. Im trying to hopefully avoid running out before im done. At this point wally world has wood chunks and charcoal so im likely going to build a simple expanded metal basket and predominantly use charcoal with some wood to add flavor. Im going to try to keep it simple for the first go round and simply rub the meat with salt and pepper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Re: First time smoking, chargriller with side box

Postby Slippy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 pm

You can buy a huge stack of smoking wood (post oak , pecan, hickory) for $20 (or at least you should be able to)... That would be enough to last you through 3 or so cooks. Take the big logs and cut them up into 6" long pieces and you should be good to go. To start the fire you can use lump charcoal, get a nice bed of coals going, the add 2-3 pieces of wood... You don't want to use briquets at all... Wood ends up being better tasting and cheaper, so win-win... If this is your first brisket, you might consider cheating a bit. Smoke the brisket for several hours (6-8 hours) with the wood, then wrap it in foil or pink butchers paper, then move into your oven at the same temp you used outside, and go to sleep... In the morning wake up to the glorious smell of brisket all through out the house.... For an 18 pounder, at 250ish I'd plan on about an 18 hour cook, depending on the cow. Good luck!

PS, try to buy seasoned wood from a tree guy, or local Craigslist seller. Don't buy at a big chain store. It will be kiln dried and will burn too fast and too hot....
Rockwall TX | BigHat Ranger Offset, Large Big Green Egg, Really old Weber Kettle, big pile of pecan and post oak....
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Greetings and welcome to the forum, do post often and include pictures....
as for how much fuel you will need depends to how tightly sealed your cooking device is? and what temperature you plan to cook at? and whether the weather conditions are windy or calm, as you can see you asked an open ended question with not enough information to give you an accurate answer. Just me being me, I would have 30 or 40 lbs of charcoal, as it does not go bad, the worst thing you will have to do is store it until next time, and wood the same way, store your wood off the ground and your charcoal in a dry place. Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:33 pm

So far so good. Working on heat control and some leak issues. Made a make shift tuning plate from another bbq grill grate and im around 195. The wind was up a bit but now its calm around 72 outside got 2 15lb bags of lump coal and some wood chunks. Worst case ill finish in the over if i have to. Enjoying it so far though ImageImage

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:04 am

looks like your off to a good start please do post completed pics and tell us how it went?
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm

A cheap improvement you can make to that pit is to extend the flue down to grate level by using a elbow fitting for a gas water heater flue.
When you are able shop for a better cooker too many air flow issues with a Char Griller (or similar) to work out to make it a joy to use. I'm not saying one cannot smoke a good meal on that machine I'm just saying it takes too much effort babysitting and fixing.
UDS units can be made cheaply and work well.
I am old and don't want to expend a lot of effort so I use a pellet cooker after owning many other types including a Old Hickory ( IMHO the best but expensive).
Understand folks cook good Q and win comps with most any cooker some just require more effort.

Meanwhile run what ya got and enjoy some good Q.
tarde venientibus ossa....
lubbockguy1979
Wrangler

Postby lubbockguy1979 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:22 pm

It was 70 when i started it began to drop outside temp and around 2am it was 34*. It was a struggle to keep the fire above 200* and was a lot of babysitting at hr 6 i wrapped it in foil and pit it in the oven to finish. It was good. Was not the best quality brisket but i enjoyed brisket burritos for lunch and dinner today. Im going to debate on keeping this grill or returning into the used market.ImageImageImage

limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:43 pm

One of the struggles of an offset is maintain a good fire, looks like you did real good considering your first time using it and the weather conditions. Love the bark on your brisket and job well done! :salut:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am

Yep it looks good to me..... :cheers:
tarde venientibus ossa....
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 am

Sometimes we are the worst critic. We want perfection and view all the pitfalls and not the finish product. Like the other here have said...the look is right. It took me many times of failures to get brisket and pork shoulder to get it right. For me, pork shoulder was more difficult but hanging around these people have me confidence and pointers in doing it. Just last week I win my 4th chili cook off with burnt end entry. This site is made up of great people that all love food, fun and hanging around each other sharing knowledge. So don’t sweat the small stuff and learn to conquer the little failures of the Q. As the expression says this too shall pass.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Looks like some good eats to me! The bark looks outstanding!
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 am

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 am

Good looking Brisky, nice color. :salut:
brisket nerd USER_AVATAR
Brisket Nerd
Pilgrim

Postby Brisket Nerd » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 am

Good looking brisket.

I've got an offset chargriller myself. With a few mods, you can make it really nice.

Below are a few of the mods I've done:

Smoker Toggle Latch, BBQ pit lid clamp.
https://www.amazon.com/Smoker-Toggle-La ... B00FSEX320

LavaLock 12 GREY High Performance BBQ gasket smoker seal SELF STICK
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9FE60K/re ... BCb14T721Q

Baffle
https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoker-mo ... t-duo.html

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”