Trying my hand at Grass Fed

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

motabbq
Rustler

Postby motabbq » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:25 pm

A co-worker has gotten into to cleaner living so decided to buy locally sourced grass fed beef package. He was ok in cooking ground beef and steaks he got, but hit a brick wall with the brisket.

I am known to take on a challenge so I got asked if I’d try my hand at it.

I was like sure I’ve done one before. It was an odd looking brisket so expected the same. Surprisingly this brisket actually looked like a brisket, but leaner. I didn’t take a pic of it out of the package, it was like it was miniaturized version of briskets we all are familiar with. I only trimmed the small foot on the point bottom and some hard bits on the bottom of the flat. Aside from those small trims it was going in as 6lbr. Didn’t have the same meat smell that grain fed packer,choice or prime briskets do. But the aroma wasn’t that different.

So here he goes along with an 8lb prime of similar dimensions. Grass fed upfront.

At 5 hrs I wrapped both... and the smell and taste was now noticeable. But I couldn’t stop at that point.

Temp was in low 20s so I maintained at 225. After I pulled and then a 2hr rest I cut him up.

Well it looked the part and the taste? It’s earthy lean, but unmistakable it was brisket. Some folks would balk at the smell and taste, but it really isn’t that bad....

The coworker was pleased with the results.

Try one if you have a chance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by motabbq on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Trying my hand at Grass Fed

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:34 pm

:tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:00 am

Sure are some pretty briskets!!
The cattle being grass fed gets lost on large cuts. Steaks are where it's at. "Well, steaks are come from larger cuts.." While this IS true, they are also cooked differently than the vast majority of those larger cuts. In the fat is where the flavor REALLY shines. It seems too subtle in the muscle alone, for most folks; And the long duration cooking renders it down too much to come through in full.
(Insert witty signature here)
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Nothing wrong at all with that brisket.

It's Prime Time ready! :cheers:
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:36 am

Our beef are nearly all grass fed, and it's really noticeable, the steaks are really good.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
motabbq
Rustler

Postby motabbq » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:20 am

Friend and his girl ate brisket for 3 days straight until gone. It was actually pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:27 pm

There is a woman here who raises grass-fed, lean beef, and sells it at the local Farmer's Market, and charges an arm and a leg for it. We tried some once just to check it out. The meat had no discernible marbling to it, and it was dry and tasteless. Since Grade is determined by marbling, what is the difference between "lean beef" and Good or Utility grade beef?
I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to keep the world from changing ME!
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
:texas:
motabbq
Rustler

Postby motabbq » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Grass fed will definitely be leaning towards the leaner side. So getting that moist savory taste of a prime or wagyu brisket will not be achievable. Grass fed can have a unique flavor and smell. Folks that I know enjoy is people that want to eat some brisket(or beef)and it just be a little less hulkish regarding hormone contents.. and “ maybe being healthier? “

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:08 am

'BoutTime wrote:There is a woman here who raises grass-fed, lean beef, and sells it at the local Farmer's Market, and charges an arm and a leg for it. We tried some once just to check it out. The meat had no discernible marbling to it, and it was dry and tasteless. Since Grade is determined by marbling, what is the difference between "lean beef" and Good or Utility grade beef?

Good is no longer a grade. If I remember correctly it was what is now Standard.
Prime
Choice
Select
Standard
---------------
Commercial
Utility
Cutter
Canner

The top 4 grades are "retail" grades. Standard is commonly sold ungraded or as store brand.
The bottom 4 are generally older bulls or cows who are no longer of breeding age or milk has dried up.
The lower grades are still edible but not good at all. They are processed into canned meats or dog and cat food.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
ʹbouttime USER_AVATAR
'BoutTime
Wrangler

Postby 'BoutTime » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks, but that still doesn't answer what I was trying to ask, so let me put it another way, If grass-fed is leaner, can I assume you would not find Prime Grade grass-fed?
I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to keep the world from changing ME!
Equipment:
Weber Kettle Grill (22")
Pit Boss PB700FB (New)
:texas:
motabbq
Rustler

Postby motabbq » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:18 am

'BoutTime wrote:Thanks, but that still doesn't answer what I was trying to ask, so let me put it another way, If grass-fed is leaner, can I assume you would not find Prime Grade grass-fed?

Correct I don’t believe there is a prime grass fed. High quality grass fed can cost as much as prime and than itself is considered to be of higher quality beef.

GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:22 pm

motabbq wrote:
'BoutTime wrote:Thanks, but that still doesn't answer what I was trying to ask, so let me put it another way, If grass-fed is leaner, can I assume you would not find Prime Grade grass-fed?

Correct I don’t believe there is a prime grass fed. High quality grass fed can cost as much as prime and than itself is considered to be of higher quality beef.

I would guess the only way would be if the steer was 100% Angus. Even then it might only grade a high choice.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”