Pre Burn

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Re: Pre Burn

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
East Texas Q wrote:Anyone else use this technique?
I usually run a pre burn pit when doing long smokes. I have two pits I built from a propane tank that measure around three foot in diameter.
Have one rigged for hanging large pots and one thats a pure pre burn pit.
I found it to be far better for controlling temps and smoke when you're taking pre burned wood and shoveling it into your pit when needed.
It also prevents the risk of creosote.

This is a great old school technique that I have witnessed at several competitions with good results. The flavor is awesome but it does take dedication in tending the fire.

While it is more labor intensive I like the accuracy using this method in both smoke and temp control.
And who doesnt like to sit by the fire and drink a few adult beverages? Also use it to make a nice pot of beans.
East Texas Q
Pilgrim

Postby East Texas Q » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Sooner21 wrote:
East Texas Q wrote:
Chasdev wrote:No such thing as overly smoked meat, just meat smoked with dirty smoke.

We'll have to disagree on that point.
Even Franklin will tell you over smoked meat can be a problem which is one of the reasons he wraps.
I generally dont use the Texas crutch unless time is an issue. I prefer to clean up my fire and let it work through the stall on it's own.

Franklin also says he has to use green wood due to sourcing and volume quite a bit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No surprise there when ya go through the amount of wood he does.
Another good reason to pre burn....or wrap.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:12 am

k.a.m. wrote:
Chasdev wrote:No such thing as overly smoked meat, just meat smoked with dirty smoke.

Sure there is. I judge BBQ on a weekly basis and yes you can over smoke meat.

So if the meat stops absorbing smoke or building bark after the stall how can it get over smoked?
I've seen guys (at the Austin rodeo comp btw) running deep blue gray smoke and who's brisket tasted bad because of it but I've smoked unwrapped for 12 hours (clear blue smoke from burning deadfall post oak, not two year old heartwood oak) and it came out just the way I like it, not "too smoked" at all.
I wonder how many guys have cooked with properly seasoned oak, I know it's impossible to find in Austin now.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:19 am

Hmmmm ? I'm beginning to wonder if this "Topic" may soon join the Fat Up/Fat Down and Bean/No Bean - Debates :?: :roll: :laughing7: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Postby txsmkmstr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:44 am

Chasdev wrote:..... it came out just the way I like it,........ .

And there you have it. One person's oversmoked is another's "just right". Taste is so subjective I doubt there's ever going to be a way to quantify a defined "oversmoke" threshold. Certainly, you pave the way to getting things right by using good wood and good airflow. Missing one or the other can be dealt with if you're a knowledgeable pitmaster (then again, what pitmaster would make those mistakes to begin with) but missing both can lead to an unfavorable condition - some might even call it "dirty smoke" - others call it over smoked - either way the flavor profile sucks. :stir: :banghead:
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am

ChefPointingUp.jpeg
ChefPointingUp.jpeg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 1829 times

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:22 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Hmmmm ? I'm beginning to wonder if this "Topic" may soon join the Fat Up/Fat Down and Bean/No Bean - Debates :?: :roll: :laughing7: :dont:
...add in the Ketchup/no Ketchup on wieners as well
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:07 am

I'm trying to point out to the OP that he may be going to too much trouble to get good smoke.
Using proper wood and keeping on top of fire management is all that's needed.
Running two cookers at the same time just to make coals is more work than required seeing as the fire in the cook smoker will generate coals just fine AND he won't be wasting or letting escape all the good flavors as the wood turns to coals in his burn cooker.
Burning wood makes smoke which makes most of the flavor and less of the heat.
Burned wood turns to coals which make most of the heat and less of the flavor.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Chasdev wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Sure there is. I judge BBQ on a weekly basis and yes you can over smoke meat.

So if the meat stops absorbing smoke or building bark after the stall how can it get over smoked?
^^^^^^^^^^
This sounds like meathead mythology.

I've seen guys (at the Austin rodeo comp btw) running deep blue gray smoke and who's brisket tasted bad because of it
^^^^^^^^
This is not over smoked it is poor fire management and stale smoke.

but I've smoked unwrapped for 12 hours (clear blue smoke from burning deadfall post oak, not two year old heartwood oak) and it came out just the way I like it, not "too smoked" at all.
^^^^^^^^^
Your smoke is clean not stale.

I wonder how many guys have cooked with properly seasoned oak, I know it's impossible to find in Austin now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I never study moisture content or how long wood has been seasoned. I can adjust my fire and coal base to what I have on hand.
East Texas Q is no amateur at smoking if he is pulling coals to a cooker he may be able to teach you and a few more about fire management lol.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”