First Smoke of the Season

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Re: First Smoke of the Season

Postby Professor Bunky » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks! :D
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Yum Yum YUM!
david brace USER_AVATAR
david brace
Wrangler

Postby david brace » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Nice ribs...'tis the season, y'know.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:15 pm

How about a pic or two of the new grill. I am toying with the idea of an egg. I just started saving up for a kamado.
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Justin,

Here are some pix of the Kamander:

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Congratulations. Nice. Bet it will give you a lot of great meals.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks.
It's already my go-to rig for smoking. However I'm still on a learning curve, epecially for setting up the charcoal pile and controlling the temperature. For example, in this recent rib smoking, I was aiming for 225-250F, but at times, the temp had gone as low as 200F & as high as 275F (but I still averaged about 250F).
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:Thanks.
It's already my go-to rig for smoking. However I'm still on a learning curve, epecially for setting up the charcoal pile and controlling the temperature. For example, in this recent rib smoking, I was aiming for 225-250F, but at times, the temp had gone as low as 200F & as high as 275F (but I still averaged about 250F).
PB, did u do the gasket mods yet ?
Usually that will run pretty spot on within 5 degrees plus or minus.
I'll put $ on it that you have an air leak somewhere. A 55 degree swing is usually a draft issue.
Nomex works well

Also, imo asking it to run as low as 200 without the fire snuffing out is a pretty big task.
I would try shooting for 225 minimum.
As for smoking, I think you will find 250 will be the sweet spot for it to hum along.
Even 275 smokes great, just my thoughts to help get that dialed in
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi WV. Thanks for the tips.

I didn't do the gasket mod because when I did my "smoke bomb" test, it indicated that the main leaks were around the adjustable vents. I'm just wondering how much variation is caused by the size & shape of the pile of coal (and the lump sizes), as well as where the location & number of starter cubes? I do have the gasket, so I can always try it.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:20 am

Professor Bunky wrote:Hi WV. Thanks for the tips.

I didn't do the gasket mod because when I did my "smoke bomb" test, it indicated that the main leaks were around the adjustable vents. I'm just wondering how much variation is caused by the size & shape of the pile of coal (and the lump sizes), as well as where the location & number of starter cubes? I do have the gasket, so I can always try it.
Oh ok,

I honestly don't believe the amount or size of lump is a factor. I've had a bowl 1/2 empty and completely full with different sizes and it didn't make the temps swing 50 degrees tho.
Basically what your doing is * chasing temps *.. I'm certain that every single one of us on here that owns any variation of a Kamado has been there. Regardless if its a 300$ cooker or a 1,500.00$ cooker.
Doesn't take much of a draft to make you go nuts.
As for the smoke test, even tho it showed the vents as the culprit, its imho still worth tightening up the ash bowl and main lid seals.
I'm thinking back when you first got this, I believe I remember you saying the vents did NOT have a o-ring seal ??
That's pretty odd but you definitely want to find a way to tighten those up.
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:08 pm

woodenvisions wrote:
Professor Bunky wrote:Hi WV. Thanks for the tips.

Oh ok,

I honestly don't believe the amount or size of lump is a factor. I've had a bowl 1/2 empty and completely full with different sizes and it didn't make the temps swing 50 degrees tho.
Basically what your doing is * chasing temps *.. I'm certain that every single one of us on here that owns any variation of a Kamado has been there. Regardless if its a 300$ cooker or a 1,500.00$ cooker.
Doesn't take much of a draft to make you go nuts.
As for the smoke test, even tho it showed the vents as the culprit, its imho still worth tightening up the ash bowl and main lid seals.
I'm thinking back when you first got this, I believe I remember you saying the vents did NOT have a o-ring seal ??
That's pretty odd but you definitely want to find a way to tighten those up.

I can see if it's possible to add o-rings to the vents. I'll have to give the unit a good looking over before the next smoke and see where I can improve the seals.
Thanks again for your suggenstions. :)

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”