My new toy.

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: My new toy.

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:43 pm

question?
did you use any seasoning in the sous vide?
was the tenderness like a lot more tender than the grilled steak? having a difficult time asking the question I want to ask, given your out come which do you prefer?
Could you would you do any grilling of the sous vide after the sous vide process?
I am most curious about these... how long was the steak in the sous vide?

Looks like I am just gonna have to go get one to play with.. :scratch:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm

spacetrucker wrote:question?
did you use any seasoning in the sous vide?
was the tenderness like a lot more tender than the grilled steak? having a difficult time asking the question I want to ask, given your out come which do you prefer?
Could you would you do any grilling of the sous vide after the sous vide process?
I am most curious about these... how long was the steak in the sous vide?

Looks like I am just gonna have to go get one to play with.. :scratch:

I seasoned all the steaks with pink Himalayan salt. The sous vide steaks were salted and put into the zip lock bag. I used a bendy straw to suck all the air I could out of the zip lick bag. The sous vide steaks were WAY WAY more tender than the grilled steaks. I cooked the sous vide steaks for a little over 2 hours at 135 degrees. I did a reverse sear on the grilled steaks to an IT of 120 degrees. Then I seared both kinds of steaks over a super hot bed of B&B lump. This was a comparison of sous vide and grilling. To be honest with you I wish I would have done all of them sous vide. I hope I answered all your questions.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Thanks very much for the reply;
gonna have to bite the bullet and see what wally world or targe' has to offer :whiteflag:
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:11 am

Did you cool the SV steaks down in ice water before grilling? I hear that allows more time on the grill without going over, unless you are aiming for well done.
Two hours at 135 sounds like a too long time and/or too high a temp if you want to get the same grilled taste as non SV.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 am

Chasdev wrote:Did you cool the SV steaks down in ice water before grilling? I hear that allows more time on the grill without going over, unless you are aiming for well done.
Two hours at 135 sounds like a too long time and/or too high a temp if you want to get the same grilled taste as non SV.

I did not give them an ice bath and they were no where near well done when they come out of the Jacuzzi. You could see uncooked red meat just under the surface I'd the steak.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:34 am

Justin, thanks so much for posting on the Sous Vide, I most certainly will be purchasing one in the near future... got kids coming this weekend so waiting for the time to be right where I can tell the wife to bring home a piece of shoe leather :laughing7: so I can try it out
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”