First brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Tron3219
Pilgrim

First brisket

Postby Tron3219 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am

I just got my first wood pellet grill the other day. I’ve done the burn off and cooked some biscuits to see where the hot spots were. Well my wife went and bought a brisket. Not a full brisket though, point cut. All I did was dash some Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper it. It’s currently sitting on the counter to come to room temp. The point cut is only about 4.5lbs. My plans are to smoke it with oak pellets for about 2 hours then turn the temp up to about 200 for another 4 hours. I’ve never cooked a brisket before. Thoughts/suggestions?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: First brisket

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:59 am

Start it at 225-250 and let it roll til 195 internal; set it out to rest wrapped. I T should go on up to 200 and enjoy
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:03 pm

I think I'd wash the Worst Sauce off of it and the give it some Frig time until our Brisket Gurus get a chance to see this. I'm sure you'll get some great ideas just hang on and BTW Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Tron3219
Pilgrim

Postby Tron3219 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:34 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I think I'd wash the Worst Sauce off of it and the give it some Frig time until our Brisket Gurus get a chance to see this. I'm sure you'll get some great ideas just hang on and BTW Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :tup:

Thank you. I’m sure I’ll be on quite frequently now. Time to expand my playbook beyond steaks lol
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:23 pm

Tron, I feel that I must let you in on a Forum Fun thing at this time. First of all there are LOTS of members that use Worcestershire Sauce, however, I am not one of them and, in good humor, I have started calling it "Worst Ever Sauce". :laughing7: :lol: :D Therefore, when I saw your first post, I got a slight chuckle because I could just imagine what some others were thinking about ribbing us about. This is all in fun and now you know, in case someone should shoot one at me HAHAHAHAHA

Good Luck with your Brisket - - - Rambo's got you on the right track :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Tron3219
Pilgrim

Postby Tron3219 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:30 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Tron, I feel that I must let you in on a Forum Fun thing at this time. First of all there are LOTS of members that use Worcestershire Sauce, however, I am not one of them and, in good humor, I have started calling it "Worst Ever Sauce". :laughing7: :lol: :D Therefore, when I saw your first post, I got a slight chuckle because I could just imagine what some others were thinking about ribbing us about. This is all in fun and now you know, in case someone should shoot one at me HAHAHAHAHA

Good Luck with your Brisket - - - Rambo's got you on the right track :tup: :salut: :cheers: :chef:

No worries. I figured it was just a joke. I didn’t go into this blindly. I asked my pops what he did, he used soy but said he’s used worst too. I prefer worst over soy personally. So I went with worst. Just thought I’d see what others are doing.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:33 pm

I have seen some inject with beef broth and I think I'd do that ?IF? I ever cooked another brisket :tup:
Tron3219
Pilgrim

Postby Tron3219 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:46 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I have seen some inject with beef broth and I think I'd do that ?IF? I ever cooked another brisket :tup:

Yeah I’ve seen that as well. I’ve watched about a 1000 YouTube videos lol I opted to keep it simple. When I was in high school I worked at a bbq place and they had pretty good brisket but we wrapped it there for 24 hours with a complete salt rub but it lacked that smoke ring. I’m debating on if I want to wrap it after a smoking.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:58 pm

The sauce is ok, cook til brisket hits 165. Wrap with foil, add a can of beef broth. Cook til 200. Unwrap, check with prob on thickest part on the side. When the prob slides in like butter it is done. Rest for an hour and enjoy. Malcolm Reed has a great video on brisket as well. Good luck.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
Tron3219
Pilgrim

Postby Tron3219 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:00 pm

limey wrote:The sauce is ok, cook til brisket hits 165. Wrap with foil, add a can of beef broth. Cook til 200. Unwrap, check with prob on thickest part on the side. When the prob slides in like butter it is done. Rest for an hour and enjoy. Malcolm Reed has a great video on brisket as well. Good luck.

Exactly what I was thinking about doing! Thanks!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Keep it in the fridge until you put it on the grill, especially in a pellet pooper. Once the surface reaches 135°, it won't take any more smoke. Staying in the fridge until the last possible moment will give you the best smoke results for some of the weaker units. :cheers:
(Insert witty signature here)
sinfony78
Rustler

Postby sinfony78 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm

i say go to at least 200 degrees before you think about pulling it. however, every piece of meat is different. i no longer go by temp but by feel. as soon as it feels pliable (jiggly in the middle with a bendable point) then i let it cook another 15-30 minutes then pull

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
jonevector USER_AVATAR
jonevector
Pilgrim

Postby jonevector » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Not sure about the pellet, I use a Weber Bullet. However, I am interested in the Worchestershestershyre sauce idea. For brisket I usually do a dry rub for 12hrs then just a spray of Makers Mark and apple juice at the turns. Would love to hear how it turns out.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:02 am

A dry rub of equal parts kosher salt, cracked or coarse black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and some ancho chile powder is a good training wheels starter. Kind of a West Texas thing. Smoke until it hits 190 internal then go beyond that until you can poke it wid yer finger and it feels like you’d want it to in yer mouth. Then pull it, wrap it, rest it on the counter for 30-40 mins. Done!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”