Brisket Pellet/Wood

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

RUBYRW
Rustler

Brisket Pellet/Wood

Postby RUBYRW » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:13 pm

I am always busy, so sometimes cooking a brisket on an offset can be time consuming.
Has anyone ever cooked a brisket on a stick burner for a handful of hours, then once the smoke is set in, transfer it to a pellet smoker to free up your personal time?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
GTR
Bandolero

Re: Brisket Pellet/Wood

Postby GTR » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Have never used a pellet cooker but I have gotten caught in a freak rain storm which all but killed any heat in my offset. Pulled it, panned it and finished it in the oven. Turned out fine, lucky when the rain hit I was about to wrap. Just went with plan B.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:25 pm

I have not switched from stick burner to pellet burner mid cook but I wish I had, when it got Africa hot outside.
RUBYRW
Rustler

Postby RUBYRW » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 pm

That's kind of what I was thinking ....offset till the wrap...then pellet to finish it off...similar to an oven, not so much worried about smoke at that point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:44 am

If you wrap with butcher paper, you will still get some smoke flavor added and allow the moisture to evap out of the meat.
Some guys don't wrap at all and the result is super dark bark..
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 am

You could save the pellets and most definitely finish it in your oven once wrapped. I would pan it then foil cover to finish. This way you can save all of your ajus and stand a better chance of no leaks in your oven.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
slippy USER_AVATAR
Slippy
Pilgrim

Postby Slippy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:28 am

No pellet pooper, but I do move it to the Green Egg sometimes. Many times I have put the brisket in the smoker around 5pm, smoked until midnight, wrapped and then into the oven while I sleep. Does it feel like cheating? Kinda... But it works, and no one really seems to care... And oh boy, does the house smell good in the morning!!!
Rockwall TX | BigHat Ranger Offset, Large Big Green Egg, Really old Weber Kettle, big pile of pecan and post oak....
fishwater_98 USER_AVATAR
fishwater_98
Pilgrim

Postby fishwater_98 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 pm

I switch from stick burner to oven all the time, once the meat is wrapped up I don't see much reason for hanging out over the fire and wasting wood to keep temp when the meat wont take on much flavor after wrapped, if using butcher paper (if using foil it wont take on any extra flavor). Pellet smoker is essentially the same thing as an oven.
instagram: me_llamo_blane

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”